Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a question for all my brothers/ sisters in the cooler climates of the country. Why not plug into a block heater, when you park overnight. Is it not practical, or dangerous. I know I'd park in a garage if I could. Comments anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I can see this being worth if you don't want to warm up the car before going anywhere but for me I warm it up for 20 minutes before I go anywhere so yeah...

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In previous winters we've had temps at 5 degrees F with windchill making it -10. At those temps, I'd start the truck and it would shut off after a few seconds. I'd do this 4 or 5 times until it would stay running on it's own. I try not to move until Engine temps hit 80F. Yesterday when I first started the truck, the coolant temp read 10F and the overhead display said 12F. It took a couple minutes to get above 80F in the coolant.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I used to use a block heater regularly. With climate change we don't get the cold weather we used to...

Never gets much lower than about -25ºC anymore with ~-15ºC being typical. Now I don't bother with a block heater.

If your vehicle won't start in those temperatures then there is something wrong with it in my opinion - unless it is some old fashioned thing with a carburetor or similar. Even then...

Btw, machinery doesn't care about wind chill.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
The truly only heater I would remotely even consider using would b a battery blanket if weather drops to -20 or lower. Or just have a jump starter charged and ready which is more ideal since it can be used on multiple vehicles not just the one

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do they make a battery blanket that you can leave on all winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a blanket on my XJ "forever" until the last few years. It was standard equipment on my winter package XJ (MY 2001) but I removed it autumn before last.

Didn't make any difference and that vehicle only gets driven every week or so.

Mind you, may be more a recommendation of the Odyssey battery that is in it more so than the blanket usage.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
There's heated blankets plug in style, that's what I was referring to

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, forgot about those.

I don't need it in my temps. I might see it being useful in Yellowknife or similar.