Block heaters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont think that will work...i lived in alaska for 3 yrs and north dakota for 3 more consecutively...better to get the actual block heater that going into the block...that hose heater is only going to keep that portion warm...u want the entire engine to be warm (above freezing) to prevent the fluids from freezing...oil pan heater as well...

i see ur in SE Texas so im curious to why ur inquiring about engine heaters

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You really don't need a block heater. if its taking that long to warm up then you need to look into a flush of the coolant and a new thermostat. Get this done by a pro, and use ford parts have the guy back flush the cores and the rad, new rad cap too

OP
OP
Trueno

Trueno

Reaction score
In the summer it runs extremely cool, never comes up off the 'C'. If it ran hot, I would assume it needed flushing etc or else the carlot might swapped in a cooler stat...say, replaced a 180/185 with a 160 and the water wasn't staying in the radiator long enough to be cooled but that's not the prob.

I'm thinking the system is clean but the stat has been replaced with a 160 or so and it's too efficient, cooling too well as it were(?)

note - I blocked 1/2 the radiator with posterboard, temp gauge finally reached 1/2 way and I now have heat but still takes forever to get that high on the gauge.

t

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with that low of a T/Stat you most likely won't get above 1/4 on the gauge
You should be using a 190/195 stat
The engine is designed to run at the higher temps for better efficiency.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
even if you had a engine heater your output from the Heating system is still going to be low with a 160 deg T/Stat

You engine may get to temp faster with a block heater but you are still limited by the T/Stat

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
specs copied from the 2002 service manual

Pressure relief cap opening pressure kPa (psi) 110 (16)
Pump pulley ratio 1.3
Water thermostat start to open temperature 87-91°C (188-195°F)
Water thermostat full open temperature 100°C (212°F)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at 38 degrees its more than needing a heater as stated by others already...i live in virginia where winter lows may get into the teens...single digits even...i'm from michigan...never had a problem due to "cold" weather...basically at 40 degrees and u have issues? the highs are in the 30s for me and cranks with no probs...2004