Blower motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spiffyrides

Reaction score
Hi All,

having an issue with my front blower motor on my 2016 expo EL, 3.5 ecoboost, 4wd with climate control. I looked at other blower threads but none seemed quite like this issue.

Issue began where the front did not seem to be blowing with much intensity, blowing, just a very small amount. Blower motor was making some noise as it if had a very large amount of load on it, an electric motor him or buzz sound is the best I can describe it.

Upon researching forum posts, some reported issues with the blower motor resistor or with debris in the blower cage. I’ve replaced the resistor with no change and didn’t find anything in the blower when I removed it.

The part that is odd to me is if I remove the blower from the air box and run it, it blows fine, speeds change, it will go up to high power etc. if I install it in the airbox, it will not. I’ve even installed the blower without the screws and held it in place. When I do this, if I lower the blower a small amount, it will work, but will “load up” and slow down if I put it all the way in. On a visual inspection, I don’t see any place it’s hitting or rubbing anything.

hoping that someone here may have some ideas on this.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it worked when you held it in place because the way it pushes on the housing. Have you tapped it at all? On my 2007 I had to replace the blower motor because it was touch and go like you describe....it kept turning off and if I hit the housing it would turn on again. New Motorcraft unit fixed it. Let me see if I can link you my old thread. Is the cage on the shaft good? Obvious I know just trying to bounce any ideas.

The resistor or Blower Control Module connector is also known to fry and cause connection issues.

OP
OP
S

Spiffyrides

Reaction score
No play to speak of radially on the blower shaft. I also replaced the resistor and it had no effect. It’s almost as if the air box is not deep enough to accept the blower. When I put it up there by hand, it seems to have problem when I put it all the way in against the places where the screw go to hold it in. It’s when I lower it down about an 1/8 of an inch, that it will work as expected.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

having an issue with my front blower motor on my 2016 expo EL, 3.5 ecoboost, 4wd with climate control. I looked at other blower threads but none seemed quite like this issue.

Issue began where the front did not seem to be blowing with much intensity, blowing, just a very small amount. Blower motor was making some noise as it if had a very large amount of load on it, an electric motor him or buzz sound is the best I can describe it.

Upon researching forum posts, some reported issues with the blower motor resistor or with debris in the blower cage. I’ve replaced the resistor with no change and didn’t find anything in the blower when I removed it.

The part that is odd to me is if I remove the blower from the air box and run it, it blows fine, speeds change, it will go up to high power etc. if I install it in the airbox, it will not. I’ve even installed the blower without the screws and held it in place. When I do this, if I lower the blower a small amount, it will work, but will “load up” and slow down if I put it all the way in. On a visual inspection, I don’t see any place it’s hitting or rubbing anything.

hoping that someone here may have some ideas on this.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible that the cabin filter is plugged up? Seems like a long shot, but why else would it work before putting it inline with the intake and output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible that the cabin filter is plugged up? Seems like a long shot, but why else would it work before putting it inline with the intake and output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2015 - 2017 Ford Expedition models do not have a HVAC air filter.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Make sure the blend doors are working as they should. If not, this could cause back pressure. Perhaps a blend door motor's messed up and staying closed? You state that you have climate control. Maybe the climate control computer's not opening them properly? If regular A/C, the controls are also electronic and they may have failed and not operate the doors properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spiffyrides

Reaction score
Interesting idea on the blend doors, what is the easiest way to check those? I do know the recirc door located above the blower is working ok.