Bog/hesitation on hard acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy:

I have a '01 4.6 2wd with about 186k miles. Everything is running well except for this stumble/hesitation on hard acceleration. If I accelerate 'normally' no problem. Only apparently on WOT it hesitates hard then it goes. I have no check engine light on. Although recently I have replaced the PCV valve and the hose, air filter. No other under-the hood maintenace.

I did have the CEL for the leaking PCV hose, but again after replacing the hose and valve then clearing the code no CEL.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rich

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your Throttle cable to see its tight. It could be that and it takes about 5 seconds to check. Pop your hood and see if the cable has any give. Your "stumble" may just be the moment longer it takes for your throttle to open when you push down.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for both recommendations. I will look at both and let you know. It feels like it is starting to accelerate then bogs, then takes off. It almost seems like a fuel delivery issue but then as I mentioned no check engine light is on so all parameters are within normal range according to the trucks brain. I'm interested to get to the bottom of it.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a good video on youtube about cleaning the exhaust ports in the throttle body The 4.6 engine is well known for those to clog up.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, so many hours at work kept me from checking into these until yesterday. Plently of time now since I was just laid off, lol. I have a backup 2nd job I was already in the midst of.

Anyhow, I will look at some of these over the next few days and see what's up. i want to do the fuel filter, clean MAF sensor.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still chasing the bog down...

But I replaced the PCV hose after seeing the p0171 p0174 code. I started with just the valve replacement, no go. Then ordered a new hose, didn't realize it came with a new valve also. So here is a pic of the hose that caused the codes above. This part of the hose that's cracked is where it connects in the rear (near the firewall). Took like two minutes to snake through and hook up.

Chasing down little gremlins one at a time!

20160227_194659.jpg

20160227_194724.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev