Brake help???2010 Expy EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a driver's side caliper hanging up so I changed rotors on both sides,new pads,new drivers caliper,and new front brake hoses. I gravity bled the front drivers caliper then went through the system twice starting in RR and moving farthest from driver to closest. When the vehicle is off it's a solid pedal and won't move. When I start it and push the brake pedal it will slowly go to the floor and I get mushy pedal. I can pump it up and regain the pedal. I have checked for leaks several times and bled it again after driving it. Am I missing something, why can't I get a good pedal?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Did brakes (pads & rotors) on my 2003 years ago and had that (or what sounds like that). I bit the bullet and drove it around the block. It was fine, just an anomaly of starting it and pressing the pedal.

I just tested it. Start engine press brake ALMOST to the floor, let up and press again right away … sounds like a lot of air on repeated presses. I can assure you my brakes work great.

Not saying I understand your situation or say its OK.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with what Mr. Sticker says above and I have an '08. My pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor but it will continue to sink as I press on it. Then it gets harder with each press. When the truck's off the pedal is very hard. I've driven others which are similar and have been told it's the nature of the beast.

Has yours always been like this? If not, bleed - especially that caliper. If you want to throw more parts at it, you can try new hoses, which people say are problematic on some of these trucks.

I'm told you can test the hose by pumping up the pedal, releasing it and then cracking a bleeder valve, If fluid squirts out, the hose is ballooning and should be replaced.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree completely with what Mr. Sticker says above and I have an '08. My pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor but it will continue to sink as I press on it. Then it gets harder with each press. When the truck's off the pedal is very hard. I've driven others which are similar and have been told it's the nature of the beast.

Has yours always been like this? If not, bleed - especially that caliper. If you want to throw more parts at it, you can try new hoses, which people say are problematic on some of these trucks.

I'm told you can test the hose by pumping up the pedal, releasing it and then cracking a bleeder valve, If fluid squirts out, the hose is ballooning and should be replaced.
I did replace the brake hoses as well , because I was concerned that they were collapsed.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you've got rock hard pedal with motor off, your hydraulics are sound. It's possible your brake booster or the components supporting it are bad. No proper vacuum system should sink that much. A little is normal, it's part of the air/ vacuum system. My 2000 doesn't sink beyond the normal amount. Do the normal tests on check valve and hose on booster, available online.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

I went over it all and realized something I should have caught right away!!! They gave me a pass side caliper and the bleeder screw was on the bottom!!! I am embarrassed I made such a silly mistake [emoji85]!!! I got the correct part on ,bled the brakes and now have a good pedal!!! Thanks for the help all!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same scenario years back on a 1975 Datsun 280z. Did a complete front brake job, but forgot to mark calipers. Well 2 quarts of fluid, and 3 of the smartest mechanics I know later, I said, I think I put the calipers on backwards! You guessed it, flipped them, quick bleed, rock hard! Never do that again. Happens to all of us!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryin2fickshit