Brakes locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregory 60

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expedition just recently I have a problem with breaks locking up ( thankfully it did not happen on highway) I have been trying to find any info on this and what can cause the issue the abs and adv track have been on for a while and have been looking for parts.
The adv. track came on at the same time I found out it could be caused by a bad speed sensor, could this make the abs to stop all wheels the

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a scan tool ( or ForScan ...) that will read ABS codes ? What codes are you getting ?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expedition
Please check your vehicle's year again, as a 2001 does not have advanced track or wheel speed sensors.

If you do have a 2001 it could be a stuck caliper pin or a stuck caliper piston. Remove wheels and check brake pads for uneven wear. (rear brakes remove rotors to check parking brakes as well)

Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
G

Gregory 60

Reaction score
built 9/22 I am in the process of replacing wheel sensors, but ran into more problems seams that the left front axel and actuator have been busted and found the lower ball joint boot gone took steering knuckle off but now have to find a way to remove the remaining part of axel from transfer case. socket wrench just causes it to rotate suggestions on how to remove it

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2001 and I had past problems with right rear caliper dragging and overheating the disc. It got so bad that the oil seal melted and diff oil smoked. The problem was resolved by replacing rear calipers and all of the rubber hoses in the hydraulic system, front and rear.

OP
OP
G

Gregory 60

Reaction score
Please check your vehicle's year again, as a 2001 does not have advanced track or wheel speed sensors.

If you do have a 2001 it could be a stuck caliper pin or a stuck caliper piston. Remove wheels and check brake pads for uneven wear. (rear brakes remove rotors to check parking brakes as well)

Welcome to the forum
I have a 2003 Expedition I have found several things wrong with front end the actuators are shot the boots are torn, I decided to replace all the struts as well and add a 3" front and 2" rear lift got new axels for front got strut and axel in on left side having a problem getting the bar that is on frame to the back side to line up also replaced lower ball joints will I need to adjust the bar to get it to line up

OP
OP
G

Gregory 60

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition I have found several things wrong with front end the actuators are shot the boots are torn, I decided to replace all the struts as well and add a 3" front and 2" rear lift got new axels for front got strut and axel in on left side having a problem getting the bar that is on frame to the back side to line up also replaced lower ball joints will I need to adjust the bar to get it to line up
The bar I am talking about is the stabilizer

OP
OP
G

Gregory 60

Reaction score