Brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just put some brand new Duralast gold brake pads in the rear. the front has half if not a little more than half left on them. My concern is that the rare times that i forget to take the emergency brake off and start driving....the car just moves with no hesitation. My 2005 explorer does not move at all if the ebrake is on. what could be the issue? thx.

Plati

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just put some brand new Duralast gold brake pads in the rear. the front has half if not a little more than half left on them. My concern is that the rare times that i forget to take the emergency brake off and start driving....the car just moves with no hesitation. My 2005 explorer does not move at all if the ebrake is on. what could be the issue? thx.
what year is your expy?
chances are the parking brake is shot (the brake is broke)
i've rebuilt the parking brake on my 2003 expy at least 4 times now
you know its old style brake shoes inside the rear rotors, right?

OP
OP
legendary70

legendary70

Reaction score
it is a 2013 expy. well the ebrake actually works when i park on an incline. any ideas?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the 1st through 3rd edition Expedition use a hat type rotor with a small set of brake shoes that activate by a cable on each side. It's possible one of the cables is broken, or the shoes need adjustment. Pull the rears again, check for broken cables, pull both rear rotors.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Np!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Things that were bad on my 2003XLT "Rusty". The shoes were so worn down that they did nothing and had to be replaced (2 times). The shoes needed the adjustment on the star wheel (4 times). The short cable was bad & was stuck and needed to be replaced. ALL the mechanical parts inside the brake rotor were a rusted and frozen solid mess (multiple times) and needed to be replaced, with copper infused grease applied. Probably other things I fergetted.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I love New York, Mr. Sticker.

Usually those brake parts rot away until they fall apart and begin jingling around inside the drums like sleigh bells. This is, unless you try using them after a decade. Then the metal stumps that lost their linings dig into the drums and won't release.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Good laugh on that one! Thx

My favorite on the parking brake maintenance is when its all rusty inside with a big ridge so the rotor doesnt come off. As far as I know the only way to get it removed is to wail on it with a sledgehammer. Wailing away at it from every possible angle (rotating it between hits) until off. Thats right up there with the lug nuts with stainless caps that fail. A lot of fun can be had working on wheels! Great exercise too.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
No matter how many rear drums I've monkey-hammered off Expeditions, I'm always surprised at the amount of rusty metal that falls onto the driveway,