Broken Dip Stick tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Williams

Reaction score
I was checking my oil today, and when I pulled the dip stick out part of the tube came with it. I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. And how they fix it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was checking my oil today, and when I pulled the dip stick out part of the tube came with it. I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. And how they fix it.

You may want to list your year, make and model - with engine designation, to receive specific information.

Most engines have the oil dipstick tube pressed into the engine, with an o-ring attached. Some also have a tab on the tube, which use used to support the tube with a bolt or screw.

tolken4

Reaction score
Yes, relatively common. Hard to get out but best bet is a small pry tool and hammer from underneath. It will go back without removing headers, but it’s a bit of work and you need to push it for again the underneath to get it to go in the hole.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a retaining bolt that secures it to the side of the head, but the lower end of the tube is just hand pressed into the side of the block and fairly easy to remove. If it's already broken you can just remove the bolt ( 17mm ?) and pull the rest out with Visegrips or something. A new tube is about $40 on Amazon.

Ford 5.4 Oil Level Tube on Amazon

Complete oil level tube.... Oil Tube Motor End with O-Ring seal ....
Ford Oil Level Tube.jpgFord Oil Level Tube End.jpg