brown wire mod, revisited.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After noticing that the front axle appears to be live all the time, I went off to Google to research. During said research I came across a post either here or on F150forums which alluded to the fact that while the switch is disabled (or in the case of mine, the brown wire is simply cut), 2wd hi and 2wd low is possible.

So the big question: I thought the brown wire only disables Auto 4wd, but does not affect the 4hi or 4lo settings. Is this right, or does cutting power (cutting the cable, leaving the switch on off) effectively disengages the front axle, even when in low range?

Last edited:

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from what I recall reading ( although it has been a while so it may be wrong ) I thought the front axles are always locked per se. so even if you disable the power to the motor turning the front wheels via brown wire mod, you are still turning all the gears in the diff so you are not truly 2wd and you will not see any MPG improvement.

Manlavi95

Reaction score
After noticing that the front axle appears to be live all the time, I went off to Google to research. During said research I came across a post either here or on F150forums which alluded to the fact that while the switch is disabled (or in the case of mine, the brown wire is simply cut), 2wd hi and 2wd low is possible.

So the big question: I thought the brown wire only disables Auto 4wd, but does not affect the 4hi or 4lo settings. Is this right, or does cutting power (cutting the cable, leaving the switch on off) effectively disengages the front axle, even when in low range?

I never thought about it this way. I have a custom switch in mine with an LED, and you can tell when the PCM activates the clutch in the front driveline because the LED brightens up significantly. When I put it in 4hi or 4lo, the LED lights up as bright as possible and stays that way. I wonder if the switch off in 4x4 actually does just keep it in 2WD considering with the clutch disengaged would prevent power from reaching the front.

I'll have to experiment tomorrow.

OP
OP
T

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never thought about it this way. I have a custom switch in mine with an LED, and you can tell when the PCM activates the clutch in the front driveline because the LED brightens up significantly. When I put it in 4hi or 4lo, the LED lights up as bright as possible and stays that way. I wonder if the switch off in 4x4 actually does just keep it in 2WD considering with the clutch disengaged would prevent power from reaching the front.

I'll have to experiment tomorrow.

Yeah, let me know what you find because if the switch on the off position, or the wire cut altogether, disables the front axle, even when in low range, then I need to finish the brown wire mod ASAP and throw a switch on there.

Although on that note, if the switch is enough to get 2wdLo, then that's actually pretty freaking cool :D

Manlavi95

Reaction score
Yeah, let me know what you find because if the switch on the off position, or the wire cut altogether, disables the front axle, even when in low range, then I need to finish the brown wire mod ASAP and throw a switch on there.

Although on that note, if the switch is enough to get 2wdLo, then that's actually pretty freaking cool :D

That's exactly what I was thinking, 2Lo would be so fun.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did this mod today. With my new toggle switch off I was able to cut some pretty fun donuts at my buddy's sand pit. Left the new switch off and put the stock switch in 4hi and low and 4wd works normally. Pretty sweet mod. My A4WD was sporatically engaging especially while accelerating or while pulling my boat. This fixed the problem.

Club Expo

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum , haven't introduced myself but I own a 2000 Eddie Bauer awd . I have been researching on how to do this. To be able to just run it in 2wd , without losing 4wd when I need it. Is there a write up on this.?

Club Expo

Reaction score
Wow, awesome up ! Thanks ! That's happening in the near future for sure. I cant get used to the feeling of the awd

spt87a

Reaction score
Did this a while ago

I did this mod a while ago after pulling the 4WD fuse for years (except when I needed 4WD). The mod is nicer since you don't have to pop the hood to turn 4WD on.

My experience is the A4WD mode significantly reduces front tire life since it tends to come on at low speed when making a sharp turn; pulling out of a parking spot with wheel turned hard or some other situations where it really isn't needed.