Question on front drive axles and driveshaft in 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig72

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Got a question. I have a '16 Exped Platinum (110k miles) and am trying to find the source of some drive train harshness we started feeling while in 2WD. Not the typical IWE chatter of them losing vacuum, just a feel in the seat and steering wheel. Feels/sounds like it's in 4WD.

- I've checked the IWEs on both axles and they retract when I start the truck or manually pull vacuum.
- I removed the output hose which applies vacuum to the IWEs from the solenoid and checked it. I applied 25" of vacuum and it held for 5 minutes so no leaks
- During test drive, I can hear the TC motor switch into and out of 4LO so I assume (maybe incorrectly) the TC motor is switching back to 2WD
- Both front hubs were just replaced, sound is still there
- I can observe the IWEs engage and disengage while changing modes (2WD to 4WD) (front of the truck was in the air)

One thing I'm trying to understand: While in 2WD for this TOD system, should the front driveshaft and front drive axles be turning? Mine do. I thought those were supposed to be disconnected from the drive train output via the TC motor while in 2WD?

Thanks for the help!

bdreker

Reaction score
Hey Craig, mine does the same. Took it to my mechanic and he says all is fine, which it is not. Did you ever get this resolved? I am thinking of changing the actuator.
Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani