Bucking at Low Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Have been lazy and haven’t addressed the issue yet. But, the idle is starting to get rough and I’m getting a check engine light for misfires on cylinders 2 and 3. Spark plugs are still relatively new, so I’m thinking it’s the coils.

Any other suggestions?

Coming up on 300,000 miles!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been lazy and haven’t addressed the issue yet. But, the idle is starting to get rough and I’m getting a check engine light for misfires on cylinders 2 and 3. Spark plugs are still relatively new, so I’m thinking it’s the coils.

Any other suggestions?

Coming up on 300,000 miles!
It could be the clutch in the transmission. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid. A number of guys were having similar issues and changing the transmission fluid cleared things up.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
It could be the clutch in the transmission. When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid. A number of guys were having similar issues and changing the transmission fluid cleared things up.

Transmission fluid has never been replaced. Is that a difficult thing to do?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission fluid has never been replaced. Is that a difficult thing to do?
You can drop the transmission pan but that only changes a small quantity of the oil. You want to get the oil out of the torque converter which holds most of the oil. The best thing to do is have the dealer do a complete transmission oil change. They punp the old oil out while pumping in fresh clean oil. You can also pull the transmission dipstick. More than likely the oil will be dark and have a bad smell, that is sure sign that it needs to be changed. You can also have the dealer look for metal shavings in the pan which indicates that the transmission is tearing itself up.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
couple things come to mind as you address multiple issues, some have been mentioned; not in priority order.

++ on MAF, sludged up intake, air filter, fuel filter
IAC
TPS
++ COPS; wouldn't do plugs w/o them IMHO.
balanced driveshaft? loss of wheel weights perhaps.
++ on trans filter and fluid change
Rear diff fluid and friction modifier if you have LS.

let us know what it is.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was a ford trans tech back until 2005. The aode/4r70w transmissions had a torque shudder which Ford said was a fluid issue. Replace the fluid with the then new mercon 5 and usually the shudder would go away. Extreme cases would get a torque replacement. My 07 expy had a bit of a clunk on slow speed downshift and it turned out to be a software issue. A reflash and all is good. Just a thought.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have misfires its definitely not JUST the tranny lol

Typical causes of misfires:
Plugs, coils, injectors on corresponding cylinders

Oh and make sure the wiring is plugged in nice snug and clean into injectors and coils.