Bullbar does not offer the protection I expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had some jerk brake check me on the interstate and I hit him. Thankfully it was recorded on the dashcam and the police gave the guy a ticket for reckless driving once they saw the dashcam video. To make matters worse he had no insurance. I will have to file a claim against my collision and pay my $500 deductible.

I was disappointed that my
Armordillo Bull Bar did not provide as much protection as I thought it would. It was an expensive purchase that looked nice but offered no real protection. I can't but think if I didn't have this bull bar, the damage would have been less severe.

IMG_6980.jpeg

Last edited:

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a problem with most bolt on grill guards/ bulls. They end up being damage multipliers. Any real impact and they fold up onto the front of your vehicle. Pretty much cosmetic, no protection.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah almost all of those bull bars are basically just a place to mount a light. They're definitely not heavy enough or mounted in a manner that would give crash protection.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You gotta remember it's mounted to the front frame horns that have crumple zones built into it. So even if the bullbar was made very HD, the frame would still compress to ease the impact.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've hit large deer at highway speed twice now with my Ranch Hand guard. The head of one got through an opening below the actual grill guard and broke a single plastic cross-piece, but the guard saved the day both times. After all that, the guard only bent slightly and I was able to straighten it myself. Of course, my 2011 frame is likely much stiffer than the newer vehicles.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah almost all of those bull bars are basically just a place to mount a light. They're definitely not heavy enough or mounted in a manner that would give crash protection.
Yup. +1 on that. They're cosmetic, not protection. Sorry the OP thought spending more was worth more.

Huggyb1972

Reaction score
There isn't much in front of these things anyways. The damage you incurred is probably similar but just higher never the less it still sucks either way.

Shinerbokdoc

Reaction score
I've hit large deer at highway speed twice now with my Ranch Hand guard. The head of one got through an opening below the actual grill guard and broke a single plastic cross-piece, but the guard saved the day both times. After all that, the guard only bent slightly and I was able to straighten it myself. Of course, my 2011 frame is likely much stiffer than the newer vehicles.
Solid addition. Almost same thing happen to me and only damage was about 1/2” inch bend/curve on the Ranch Hand grill guard on the P/S. And replaced the fog same side fog light.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've stopped installing "push bars", which are really just equipment mounts, on our fleet of police vehicles. As has been mentioned, in my experience they cause far more damage than they prevent in even minor front end collisions. Plus in my state PIT maneuvers are illegal except in lethal force situations, so at that point who cares about damaging the front bumper anyways.

They now sell these grill light brackets as an alternative for mounting lights.

CG011__32859.1651249527.jpg