Burning Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Same problem on my 17. Would love to know what is causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally just dropped my truck off today for this... I performed an at home exhaust leak test and found both turbo flanges leaking so having the dealer look at repairing them under warranty

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, its not your last oil change. This is something prevalent on newer Explorers, and Ford will "fix it" for free on those models. It is exhaust getting into the car under certain conditions; said conditions are not defined or static. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it don't.

I've heard some Expy owners make the same claim; although not nearly as much as Explorers. Search the forum, I remember reading a thread about this almost a year ago IIRC.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-explorer-carbon-monoxide-free-repairs/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/carbon-monoxide-exhaust-coming-into-cabin.32886/

Thts weird because CO is odorless :wtf:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Literally just dropped my truck off today for this... I performed an at home exhaust leak test and found both turbo flanges leaking so having the dealer look at repairing them under warranty

Let us know the results please. Also how did you do an exhaust leak test?

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Well, I got the truck back today.... They said the water pump was bad and causing the driveway leaks and it was replaced with warranty and what was causing the unusual whirring... I guess it's good being at 90k miles now to have it changed out. They also wanted $350 to change out the lower overflow hose it's on order for $75 and will replace myself even though I see nothing wrong with it.

As per the exhaust leak they said they couldn't find anything I explained to them exactly where the leak was they said 1) no carbon tracks, no leaks... 2) it's not a part covered through warranty but for $400 they would change out both flanges if it made me feel better

So I brought it home drove it on the sidewalk halfway and let it cool for 2 hours sprayed it with PB catalyst on both sides and soaked for half an hour... Took a 15mm deep socket on the end of flex tip to the impact gun and loosened 3 of the 4 flange bolts the top of the driver side exhaust turbo was a pain and had to use a wrench.

I wiggled everything and sprayed some rust remover spray onto the connection and theng tightened up all 4 of bolts. Hooked up the positive side of my shop vac and blasted pressure back into these exhaust... Not a single bubble from either.

Pros; turbo whistle much quieter, no more rough idle at 2500 rpm, and gas smell in engine bay gone!

Cons; Ford didn't help at all on this one and it took about 3 beers deep on the very tight spaces to work on without removing anything.

Last edited:

RobK

Reaction score
Just got my 2017 XLT back from the dealer yesterday. They found 3 oil leaks. Valve cover, vacuum pump, and timing chain cover all had leaking gaskets.
I had smelled oil after driving for about 20 min and when I would stop to go to the store and start back up, the smell would come into the cabin. Luckily, everything was covered under warranty as I only have 52k on it.