Buyer recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matticus

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying an expedition in the next month or two. Most likely, I will be getting 2003-2004 model, but if I can find one in my price range, I will go 2005-2006.

What kind of things should I look for that would be signs of a bad/good buy on these years? I'm mostly looking for any notorious issues that are specific to these outside of the standard things to check on most used vehicles. Any good questions to ask the seller? Any help along these lines would be helpful. If there is a thread on this already, a link would be great!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 Big things that come to mind for me are when were the plugs changed, and has the Fuel Pump module been replaced? If the plugs haven't been changed on a 2005-06, it can be costly to have a dealer do them (upwards of $600). The fuel pump module has a tendency to go out due to corrosion. A replacement will have rubber grommets that hold the unit off the rail so water and debris won't get trapped.
Aluminum corrosion is also an issue on the 2003 and up Expys. The rear hatch and hood lip will get peeling paint due to aluminum corrosion. The result is pretty obvious, and requires a thorough stripping, cleaning and a respray.

B

bedrck46

Fuel Pump module which is being referred to is only on the 05-06 model years

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, take it with a grain of salt. Just because one has more reports doesn't necessarily mean it's a worse year or that you will have any of those problems. It's just an insight.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I found a great deal on a 2003 eddie bauer with a little bit of body damage I'm going to repair.