Cabin air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy

Reaction score
Is there a cabin air filter on the 2002 expedition? If so,where is it located.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly doubt it since there isn't even one on the 3rd gens.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cabin filters didn't come as standard equipment until around 2007. Prior to that they were a dealer add on, but were fairly rare.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cabin filters didn't come as standard equipment until around 2007. Prior to that they were a dealer add on, but were fairly rare.

Incorrect information. No Expedition around 2007 had a cabin filter.

Ford parts dept F150 kit applied to the first gens 97-02. The part number is/was F65Z-18D477-AA.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do stand corrected. My info came from a video online. It was wrong. Do you or anybody know what year Ford started offering as standard equipment these filters. Is the F150 one you listed dealer add on? I would assume it to be.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do stand corrected. My info came from a video online. It was wrong. Do you or anybody know what year Ford started offering as standard equipment these filters. Is the F150 one you listed dealer add on? I would assume it to be.

Not aware of any Expedition/Navigator, including 2018, that even offered a cabin filter, let alone standard equipment.

The F150 kit mentioned above were available in the parts department. I'm sure some dealers installed them, but also sold plenty to consumers. If you look at what the Ford kit offered, one could fairly easily DIY if they really wanted to.

If Ford made these standard, I'm sure many would complain about the filters being too cheap, too expensive, hard to get to, bad for the environment, how they hold and not filter cigarette smoke smell, dealers charging too much to change, having to change too often, they make the fan louder, don't filter enough microns, filter too much and restrict airflow, and that they sometimes leave a film on the interior glass. Some people love them, plenty more love to hate them. People who live in the country or frequent dirt roads have a legit gripe.

Then there would be debates about charcoal vs. grape seed polyphenol vs. disposable paper vs. foam vs. K&N re-washable vs. who-knows-what. Threads literally like this exist and multiply on other car forums I visit. Its as bad if not worse than the towing package & rear hatch corrosion threads here.

Keyword spamming garbage websites like AutoAnything and CarID are the reason for confusion on this subject. If you look hard enough, you'll find cabin filters for a Model A on those pages.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Most of the newer cars have them. Surprised a company as big as Ford doesn't. I have allergies big time, and could use one. I don't run my Ac very often, as I live right next to San Francisco, I'm going to look into that F150 one you listed. My Eddie Bauer is 2000, so that kit is perfect fit. Thanks Flexpedition for the great info.

FoothillsJim

Reaction score
What is the grill covered opening under the tailgate, up high in the center, below the brake light? It kind of looks like it could be a filter - not that it is, but wondering what it is there for, and does it ever need any service/cleaning. My vehicle is 1st gen, 1999 XLT 5.4 (w/rear air if that makes a difference).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's definitely not a cabin filter. I was at an Oreillys in Pacifica on Friday picking up some windshield washer fluid. I asked the manager to key up one of the newer expeditions like 2017 on his computer. He said their was no listing, so like flexpedition stated, Only Ford add on's were the only ones. Maybe some aftermarket companies made them as well. You'd think a company as big as Ford would have included something that keeps their customers healthy, so they could come back and buy a newer model. Ever see the gunk that a room ionizer collects. Imagine the dirt and crud that we breathe in running the vent/Ac.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1