caliper suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atle

Reaction score
hey guys, didn't find anything with Search. So i need to replace my calipers, and on Rock Auto, the've got alot to choose from. Not quite sure which to get. Raybestos? Centric? AC Delco???

thanks in advance

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
atle, long time no see my brother. As for your question, are you talking about the caliper itself or are you asking about brake pads?

If you are asking about pads, I would say to spend a few extra bucks, get the full ceramics and call it good. The rears are not going to have that much effect on braking. So, keep it simple and go from there.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Nearly all stock replacement calipers that you buy are re-manufactured. That's why there is a core charge for them. Just pick one that is in the middle of the price range with a decent warranty and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
A

atle

Reaction score
thanks guys, i think i will go with Raybestos.

Thermo !!!! I was hoping I would run into you somewhere online. FordTruckWorld looks like it is dead, hardly any activity at all. It's a sad thing. I have been busy with my beast '70 Chevelle 468 :biggrin: but i need to give the expy some attention. i just replaced all the rusted brake lines that were leaking badly. Just replaced rusted differential cover as well, and now it looks like i have a frozen caliper in the front, so i'm just going to replace all of them. The pads are still relatively new when I replaced the rotors last year from Rotor Pros.

hey... i haven't forgotten about the jacket you want from Japan. I'm still trying to make a trip there, and will hit you up about the details on what you want.

btw, here's my Chevelle

DSC_0317.jpg

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
atle, like was mentioned, when it comes to calipers, they are all pretty much off of the same assembly line, just rebuilt. With that being said, if you don't mind doing a little bit of leg work, check out:

New Rear Centric Brake Caliper Repair Kit F150 Truck F250 Ford F 150 F 250 | eBay

New Front Centric Brake Caliper Repair Kit F150 Truck Ford F 150 2001 2000 | eBay

There are the rebuild kits for both front and rear. Popping the calipers apart is easy and you can clean things up and do everything yourself for much, much less ($40 total for all 4 wheels vice spending say $60 a caliper for a rebuilt unit. I rebuild the calipers on my Jaguar now. I get much better results and it is much cheaper ($10 per caliper if I have to buy a rebuild kit-don't have to normally than the $125 a caliper for a rebuilt one). After you do the first caliper, you will wonder why you would ever contemplate buying a rebuilt one.

Thanks for not forgetting about that coat. No rush. I have gone this long without it, awhile longer is not going to hurt anything. If you ever need someone to help with the truck, I am only about 90 minutes up the road now over in California Maryland. I occassionally head over to the Cars and Coffee show there at the Kohls every Sunday morning (8-11 am). If I head that way, I will try to get in touch with you and maybe we can meet up.

OP
OP
A

atle

Reaction score
awesome, thanks Thermo. I could go for rebuilding some of them. I have a front driver side one where the piston is completely frozen in there and won't budge. So i may just get a fully loaded caliper up there.

i emailed the ebay seller to see what you get with the rebuild kit, as I would also like to get new guide pins and dust boots and such, but the seller did not know.

The caliper itself is the expensive part, so i may just piece meal a rebuild kit together from rockauto.

thanks for the offer of helping, i will keep you in mind. and cars & coffee would be awesome when the weather gets nicer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990