Can i get a noise diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hey all, I get this strange squeaky noise when my engine is cold. It goes away after the engine has warmed up. I figure it probably has to do with the belt, but I'm used to that sound being more rhythmic, and this sound is rather sporadic. I have uploaded a video on youtube at the link below. Its a 06 Expedition XLT AWD

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a breaker bar to relieve tension from the belt, then pull the belt off of any convenient pulley. Spin every pulley by hand checking for noise, grinding feel or anything unusual. Notice anything odd? Also visually inspect while running, is there one pulley that wobbles a bit?

Esat

Reaction score
Hey all, I get this strange squeaky noise when my engine is cold. It goes away after the engine has warmed up. I figure it probably has to do with the belt, but I'm used to that sound being more rhythmic, and this sound is rather sporadic. I have uploaded a video on youtube at the link below. Its a 06 Expedition XLT AWD

Sounds like you need a new power steering pump.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely one of the pulleys going bad on you. Do as Bain said. It should be obvious when you spin it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sound is definitely a pully, probably an idler pully too? But as suggested take off the belt and spin each by hand, or use an automotive stethoscope

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prob pulley as other said. Could be belt too.
You can spray some belt dressing on the belt -be careful- a and see if it changes instanly.

I have also used Lucas Chain Lube (my favorite lube for last 4+ years) to spray i the bearing of idler and tensioner puleys that were making noise but I didn't want to change yet. Amazing how long they can last after a squirt.
You can also pop the rubber bearing seal out with pin or small screwdriver or punch to get better access.

Pulleys are cheap though. About 12.99-16.99 at parts stores. Maybe cheaper on ebay. Tensioners: can get whole thing with pulley or just pulley sometimes.

You can replace some of the bearings individually but not worth it for extra work and little extra expense of pulley with new bearing all together.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
nice, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure about pulling the belt off myself so i will take it in to the shop and let ya'll know how it went.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure about pulling the belt off myself so i will take it in to the shop and let ya'll know how it went.
Let us know how it goes at the shop. If you're feeling adventurous, the accessory drive belt/system is not nearly as complicated as it initially seems and we'd be glad to find a youtube tutorial for you to attempt yourself.

Edit: This shows how to replace the belt, you don't need to go this far to diagnose but it may be worth the watch anyway

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All you need is a half inch ratchet or breaker bar. It's pretty easy to just pop it off one of the pulleys to give you the freedom you need to check everything.
The idler pulleys just bolt on with one bolt also very easy.
I'm just afraid of garage is going to tell you need a new belt a new tensioner in a new idler and get you for $300.