can I get an opinion on something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

doodlebugs-93

a good buddy of mine had a 1997 expedition xlt with the 5.4v8 and he had a Meyer snowplow to plow snow with it, anyway, his expedition came a victim of a tree falling across it and his expedition isn't fixable but anyway my buddy told me that if I want the entire setup, that's including plow, pump, lights, controls, basically everything that comes with the plow he's giving me the entire snowplow setup, my opinion is this
if I do get the plow is my expedition heavy enough to plow snow, I would only be doing driveways and my church parking lot, can I get anybody's opinion on this?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Snow sucks. That's an opinion on something.

Your expi will do fine as long as 4wd is working. Not as good with 2 but with good tires still doable.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a good buddy of mine had a 1997 expedition xlt with the 5.4v8 and he had a Meyer snowplow to plow snow with it, anyway, his expedition came a victim of a tree falling across it and his expedition isn't fixable but anyway my buddy told me that if I want the entire setup, that's including plow, pump, lights, controls, basically everything that comes with the plow he's giving me the entire snowplow setup, my opinion is this
if I do get the plow is my expedition heavy enough to plow snow, I would only be doing driveways and my church parking lot, can I get anybody's opinion on this?

get it and plow snow... It's free! They work as good to plow as a F150

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Taking a turn today in the north burbs of Chicago after getting 10 inches over the weekend and then 4 today, an F 150 did a donut in front of me.

My ole gal took the turn in this slush like...a Porsche!

If an F 150 can plow your expy can plow w that F 150 on sitting its roof.

Go plow.

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it shouldn’t be done, can’t remeber the reasons, but it was something about strain on the drivetrain or front end and suspension.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Only an idiot would plow with an Expedition. Plow trucks are F250, 1/2 ton or larger. Trucks used for plowing have 2 batteries and heavy duty front springs.

Last edited:

Brent Harward

Reaction score
You obviously live way too far north. Put a sign in the lawn, or snow, and head south. You won't need a 4X4 and all FoMoCo A/C's work great. JS

Spaznaut

Reaction score
Plowing is tough on a frame. Trucks equipped to plow from the factory generally have front reinforcement or used to. Your exp. is actually heavier than a pickup and the drivetrain is the same. You will sag the front with the extra weight as plow trucks have heavier spring rates. If your not driving around all the time with your plow on you'd be fine but you will wear it out quicker. I'd find a beater to plow with if you want to save your expedition you have now.