Can I safely tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 2018 Expy Platinum (non-Max)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Plati with HD tow package (non-MAX). I'm wondering if/how I could tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I haven't weighed my Jeep, but let's say it's 5000 lbs (including my modifications and some gear). I'm guessing an appropriate trailer would be around 2000 lbs. So even if we say 7500 total, I'm well within the 9200 tow rating of the Expy. I think payload/tongue weight are probably my limiting factors. Assuming I have my wife and 3 little kids and some gear in the Expy, is this setup workable in a safe way within all applicable limits? If so, what should I look into? I know a weight distribution hitch would be necessary, I just have no real experience towing anything of substance so I'm looking for advice to get started.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, payload and tongue weight will be the limit. Should be fine if you have enough weight on the tongue. Make sure the trailer frame is compatible with a WDH so you can get the axles loaded properly.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've towed my 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer on an aluminum trailer with my 2007 Expedition (W/Tow Package) without issue.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Yes, payload and tongue weight will be the limit. Should be fine if you have enough weight on the tongue. Make sure the trailer frame is compatible with a WDH so you can get the axles loaded properly.
How much weight would I want on the tongue?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much weight would I want on the tongue?

Tongue weight should be 10% to 15%. The higher, the less sway, but you need to stay within your axle ratings and make sure you're not taking too much weight off the front axle. Measuring the fender drop will help with distributing the weight between axles, but it won't tell you your total trailer weight. For that, you'll need to visit a scale.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Tongue weight should be 10% to 15%. The higher, the less sway, but you need to stay within your axle ratings and make sure you're not taking too much weight off the front axle. Measuring the fender drop will help with distributing the weight between axles, but it won't tell you your total trailer weight. For that, you'll need to visit a scale.
Alright, so that would work out to around 700-1000 lbs of tongue weight, which would leave me with around 450-750 lbs of remaining payload for the family and luggage. So it's probably just barely doable for now.
Probably not so much once the kids get a bit bigger. Thanks!