Cant find freon leak???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camalot

Reaction score
2001 Expo. Vacuumed down system to 30 inches. Let sit for 30 min with no leak down. Refilled system with 134a. Within a week the freon is low again. Anyone have any ideas??? Freon is starting to add up and would like to find the leak asap. Just dont understand if I vacuum it down with no leaks then how can it leak when its charged. Thanks in advance.

Goats

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right out the front compresser seal is a common spot to leak

OP
OP
C

Camalot

Reaction score
Thank you. But would it not show when the vacuum test was done? I vacuumed it down to 30 inches and left for 30 min with no leak detected. I'm not real familiar but thought a vacuum would show all leaks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same problem. Check the low side and high side port valves for leaks. When you're on the gauges it is a sealed system, the valves are open so no leak. Once you remove the gauges, the valve should seal but doesn't.
Most of the leaks I've come across are on the low side port.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Camalot

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I forgot to mention. After the first leak test and recharge I noticed the schrader valves leaking on both the low and high side. I replaced the valves and tested again with the same results. It is I guess possible that maybe the new schrader valves are bad.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible but doubt it. May be the seat the valve seals against or has trash in the system that is causing the valve to not seal.