Can't open air box [SOLVED]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I wanted to swap out the air filter today but couldn't open the air box. I saw three clips which I opened but couldn't open up the box. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's just stuck. Make sure there's not another clip somewhere or hinge pins and gently persuade it. The gasket on the filter sticks the thing together sometimes.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you have 3 latches on the left side, meaning on passenger side of the air box. unlatch those, then, loosen the clamp which holes the air snorkle tube assembly which connects to the air box - I personally loosen the connection to the throttle body section as well, I just take it all off when I do my air filters but that's just me.

anyways, once you have the air tube removed from the air box ( it's kind of difficult to get the movement you need without undoing the tube, but you could find w/e technique works for you once you get past this initial removal for yourself ), simply glide the air box towards the passenger side. there are three notches, they snugly go into little slots on the bottom half of the air box, the top portion has the male end of the notches. it'll make sense once you remove it and inspect it for yourself.

go slow and firm, slide that top portion of airbox towards passenger and you'll have your air filter ready for replacement right there.

edit: you can lift the passenger side of the airbox a little bit when you glide it, but don't go ham with lifting it - it's just thick plastic that the notches are made of, so you want to make sure you're trying to slide it out and not rip it out.

OP
OP
jkayca

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No luck. Loosened clamp and tried to remove the air tube. Couldn't even do that. Everything is inflexible and tight. I was scare of cracking something. No give in any of the piping.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance you can take some pictures? Remember, everything (latches and clamps) must be undone.

Do you have a mechanic you usually use? If so, maybe that should be your next step. Once you see it done kind of thing....

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No luck. Loosened clamp and tried to remove the air tube. Couldn't even do that. Everything is inflexible and tight. I was scare of cracking something. No give in any of the piping.

Use a hair dryer or hot air gun to warm up the box lid and the tube to free it up.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 and I generally replace the air filter when I change the oil. They say to disconnect the clamp holding the air box to the intake but I’m too lazy. I undo the 3 clamps on the passenger side and then lift up the cover on the passenger side so it’s at an angle. I push The side with the tabs is towards the passenger side, it might take a slight hit with the palm of your hand to pop loose. After replacing the filter it takes a little bit of work to reseat tabs back into their slots. I should probably put some silicone on the tabs to make it easier. I’ve had to brace the slots with a screwdriver as I’ve pushed it back together.

OP
OP
jkayca

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I'm flummoxed. Even with all the advice given here I can't get it open. I can lift the passenger side 1/4" once all the clamps were undone but it still doesn't want to move.

I'm due for an oil change soon. I'll just get them to change the filter too.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sent you a private message with my email address. If you have an iPhone, email me the number and I’ll show you how it comes apart. No iPhone…can’t help you:)

Video showing the removal of the clamp.