Car Seats in the 3rd Row

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

StephenPT

Reaction score
I have two Clek Foonfs in the 3rd row and highly doubt I can fit a 3rd. In a previous rental Expedition, we could fit 3 car seats side by side in the 2nd row with bench configuration. I HIGHLY recommend taking a look at a MAX for the extra trunk space because when you have the 3rd row up in a regular length unit, the trunk is only about 1 foot deep at the bottom and tapers down at the top since the seats are reclined to better fit the car seats.

Our biggest regrets were not choosing a bench 2nd row and also not buying a MAX model. The Tilt & Slide feature for the 2nd row is a game changer when you have car seats installed on 2nd row bench and still want easy access to 3rd row.
We will definitely be getting the Max. I'm hoping to put two backless boosters and a maxi-cosi rodifix back in the third row. I guess for a frame of reference would you be willing to measure the overall width of the third row (outer edges of cushions). This would help a ton! I know one of the bigger problems with car seats is the width taken up by the side bolsters and head restraint. I believe the rodifix is a bit narrower than the clek foonf, but not by a ton.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The distance between the outer edges of the 3rd row cushions is just a hair over 48".

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We will definitely be getting the Max. I'm hoping to put two backless boosters and a maxi-cosi rodifix back in the third row. I guess for a frame of reference would you be willing to measure the overall width of the third row (outer edges of cushions). This would help a ton! I know one of the bigger problems with car seats is the width taken up by the side bolsters and head restraint. I believe the rodifix is a bit narrower than the clek foonf, but not by a ton.
@StephenPT Did you purchase an Expedition? If so, did you determine a good 3 across booster setup for the 3rd row?

OP
OP
S

StephenPT

Reaction score
@StephenPT Did you purchase an Expedition? If so, did you determine a good 3 across booster setup for the 3rd row?
We have not. Holding out to see the 2022 in person. Honda Pilot is still serving us well, albeit a bit tight in all the rows. Rooftop box gets us the extra cargo space when we really need it.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m a Child Passenger Safety Technician (aka car seat tech), mom of 3, 2018 Expy MAX owner and former 2011 Pilot owner.

With the RodiFix and 2 very slim backless boosters, you could fit all 3 in the 3rd row. The backless boosters would need to be extremely slim. If the oldest 2 are both at least 50 lb, the Graco RightGuide is your best option for super slim backless boosters back there. If one or both are 40-49 lb, the Bubblebum is probably your only workable option. The Mifold would technically work on paper but has some fit and usage issues that always make me hesitant to recommend it. You’d want to put the RodiFix on the passenger side and the 2 slim backless boosters center and driver side.

The 2nd row is quite easy for 3-across. The RodiFix is also one of the few high back boosters that works well 2nd row center if you ever need to use it there.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and the RodiFix is quite a bit wider than the Clek Foonf. The Foonf is 17” at the widest point. The RodiFix flares out to about 19.5” in the torso side wings.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear 3rd only has two anchor points, one on each side so you wouldn’t be able to to do two car seats on the one side (60). And fold down the the smaller seat (40). I think that’s what you’re asking right? Other than that the expedition is a great family hauler, get a max so that you don’t have to worry about putting a seat down
The 3rd row has 3 top tether anchor points (used for forward facing seats) on the backs of the seats and 2 sets of lower anchors (for outer seats only) in the seat crease.

Lower anchors are an alternative to the vehicle seat belt for installing car seats (rear or forward facing) and can also be used to secure some booster seats (to prevent them from being projectile risks when unoccupied.)

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and the RodiFix is quite a bit wider than the Clek Foonf. The Foonf is 17” at the widest point. The RodiFix flares out to about 19.5” in the torso side wings.
Thank you for the suggestion of the graco rightguide. I’ll look into it. I already have a rodifix. My kids are still fairly young. I want to put the 3 older ones in the 3rd row. Their ages are 6.5, 5, and 5. I have another 2 on the way in February, so they will have the 2nd row to themselves. I’m hoping to fit two rodifixes on the outside and a backless in the middle.

Dworth

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion of the graco rightguide. I’ll look into it. I already have a rodifix. My kids are still fairly young. I want to put the 3 older ones in the 3rd row. Their ages are 6.5, 5, and 5. I have another 2 on the way in February, so they will have the 2nd row to themselves. I’m hoping to fit two rodifixes on the outside and a backless in the middle.
Good lord in heaven. Two sets of twins and a solo?! Congratulations, I do not know how you do it. I would not have a hair on my head.

OP
OP
S

StephenPT

Reaction score
I’m a Child Passenger Safety Technician (aka car seat tech), mom of 3, 2018 Expy MAX owner and former 2011 Pilot owner.

With the RodiFix and 2 very slim backless boosters, you could fit all 3 in the 3rd row. The backless boosters would need to be extremely slim. If the oldest 2 are both at least 50 lb, the Graco RightGuide is your best option for super slim backless boosters back there. If one or both are 40-49 lb, the Bubblebum is probably your only workable option. The Mifold would technically work on paper but has some fit and usage issues that always make me hesitant to recommend it. You’d want to put the RodiFix on the passenger side and the 2 slim backless boosters center and driver side.

The 2nd row is quite easy for 3-across. The RodiFix is also one of the few high back boosters that works well 2nd row center if you ever need to use it there.
Great information! So glad you saw this thread... Currently we have a 2014 Honda Pilot (same platform as the 2011 Pilot you owned) and in the third row it is impossible to put our two backless boosters and a Rodifix. The backless boosters are a Diono Solana and a Britax Parkway SGL w/o back. I can't even fit the three side by side, I feel like even if they did, access to the buckles would be extremely difficult. The Pilot's third row cushion measures just a tad over 45" so if the Expedition measures at 48" I just don't see how that would be enough with our current seats. You mentioned the Graco RightGuide. I've never seen this booster until now. My 9 year old would definitely be ready for it and I believe my 7 year old would as well. Our 5 year old is in the Rodifix. 3 year old is in Britax Frontier 90 and 1 year old rear facing in Britax Marathon. Thanks for your insight and feedback!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire