Cargo Tie Downs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Are there cargo tie downs in the "bed" of the 2017 Expedition. I recall (or dreamed :) )there were D-rings in the floor of my '07. Or was it my '02 Explorer...?

My daughter has the truck this morning so I can't just walk out and look. I need to secure a small kayak back there. It will stick out beyond the rear door but I'd like to keep it from sliding out the rear door.

-- Chuck

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
None. With the 3rd row folded down though you can lift those two gap panel thingies and there are few places to attach a hook where the seat motors and brackets live.

Although normally when I see a kayak sticking out the back of an SUV, its tethered to the trailer hitch.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the first things I noticed after buying my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 new, was the lack of tie-down hooks and hooks to add a cargo net (to prevent the cargo from fall out when I open the rear hatch). Although Ford did not offer a cargo net, I could have bought one from another source and added it if Ford had included side hooks.

I am amazed that Ford engineers and interior designers did not include these basic, very helpful items. I suspect the rear interior was designed by people that never actually use a vehicle.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After bringing a full load of groceries every couple of weeks I always open the rear window first and make sure half of them ain't tumbling out when I open the rear door! Lesson learned the hard way.

My adult daughter is looking at a used kayak tonight after work and needs me (of course) to transport it to her home. Should be a one-time event. Her neighborhood is on a large reservoir and has waterside storage racks for canoes and kayaks. I expect she'll eventually get a roof top carrier for her Outback.

-- Chuck

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
The lack of D-rings or other frame mounted tie downs is one of the most glaring issues I have with the truck. No matter what the logic was of the engineers, it was wrong. Absurd to not have a way to secure cargo in a SUV like these.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The modern Expedition is somewhat lacking for commercial use. Its design seems more aimed at the housewife or guy in white shoes than someone who'd carry lumber or a kayak. I make due with this all, naturally as we all do, and I love my truck, but it would be nice to see the truck modeled a bit more like an F-150 in details such as these.

To me, my 2000 was a bit better in these regards than the later models. The railroad used these solid-axle trucks for all sorts of heavy things and they held up and performed very well.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Although you COULD probably snake some bungees or something through a seat before folding it

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had to add them myself in my 2000. Agree- it’s lame. My Explorer had 4 from the factory. I added 8 to my Expedition.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a tiedown mounted to the middle seat in the second row. Baby seat tiedown no doubt but it held the bow of the 50 pound kayak in place and lines from kayak stern forward to the trailer hitch kept pulled inside for the 45 minute drive. Had to run with 5 of the 13 feet out past the open tailgate. We're in the spring Monsoon season in Virginia but the rain god held off until we got home.

-- Chuck