Securing large heavy cargo in the back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Expy that I carry 500-700 lbs in. I constructed a platform out of alum diamond plate and then constructed a frame out of 1" square alum tube to beef up the plate on all sides plus cross-members to carry heavy loads. I used adjustable modular tie-down bars on the sides so that I can adjust where I want the tide-down rings to go. And lastly nylon ratchet straps to tie the load to the plate. This system has worked for me and I've had my share of hard breaking situations. I must admit that I don't always put the second row seats down but I have on occasion. Unfortunately there's no way of tying this assembly down to the floor of the vehicle.
Do you have the third row seats? They tie into the floor substantially at several points. Also a couple feet aft of them near or in front of the jack compartment are some bolts to the floor.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's Toyota RAV4 has some d rings built into the cargo area, you'd think an Expedition would come with them.