Catch can on 2018's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified... in 2 months or so when I change my oil I will empty it and see whats in the can.
I empty my can twice between 7500 mile changes. Wouldn’t hurt to open it up and look

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I check my JLT can in my '16 every 1,000 miles until I get a good handle on what is filtered out for a given mileage. One time I waited until the 3,000 oil change and it was full, but that was in the winter and it was mostly water. Second part to answer your question...any vehicle with a PCV system can benefit from a catch can....

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would put one in regardless of year. You don't want that oil coating the inside of your intake.

I have one in my 2013 Mustang GT with 5.0L engine. I remove about 2-3 ounces of oil every 5k oil change.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I would put one in regardless of year. You don't want that oil coating the inside of your intake.

I have one in my 2013 Mustang GT with 5.0L engine. I remove about 2-3 ounces of oil every 5k oil change.
2-3oz after 5K is nothing. The engine has a PCV, that burns most of this stuff. Does the the catch can, prevent this? Old timers used to say, too much 'blow by', meant bad rings or valves. The intake valve 'carbon issue' is not fixed this way. The valves still are not washed by the fuel. Ford admitted, there is no way to prevent it or safely clean them. They re-designed the entire fuel system. In cold weather, engines get pudding under the oil cap(and valve cover). It burns off after a long drive or the first warm day. What does a catch can do for that?

OP
OP
jolexey

jolexey

Reaction score
Opening this thread up again to see if anyone has feedback on catch cans for the 2018+ Expy's. Good? Bad? Needed? Thanks in advance.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Opening this thread up again to see if anyone has feedback on catch cans for the 2018+ Expy's. Good? Bad? Needed? Thanks in advance.

It's only $140 and it will not hurt anything. You will be amazed at how much oil and water (creamy foam) the catch can collects on my Expy. The first time you empty that you will be thankful that you are not forcing your spark plug to burn that crap.