CB Antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not looking to go huge, so I think 4 footers should work good. I think I'll try to stay away from springs since if anything, I'll probably only ever hit some branches or something, but don't want them to fling back and beat the hell out of my truck. But I guess I can just see how flexible they are whenever I get them and go from there.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the only antenna i currently have on my Expedition. It's not hooked to anything, but I believe it's for a high band police radio.
0810091651b.jpg

Here is a mount I made for my Dodge. It's made from 16 gauge steel and cost me 79 cents. The antenna is a K40 with the magnetic mount removed.
1011091442.jpg

1011091816.jpg

1011091817.jpg

I saw this Honda at Wal-mart the other day.
IMG_20110317_163145.jpg

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
now thats funny! i bet hes driving that from his house threw google earth! haha

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered a Larson antenna and fender mount (similar to the Dodge) posted here. I will post pictures when I get it mounted next week. The Larson antenna looks more like a 2-way radio antenna than CB antenna.

I will also post some pictures of the LED lights I will be adding that I will be using while responding to fire/ambulance calls.

Marc

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o kool. i still need to get my ants. im still debating 102" whips or dual fire stiks. since i cant fit into parking structures no more with my lights. haha

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o kool. i still need to get my ants. im still debating 102" whips or dual fire stiks. since i cant fit into parking structures no more with my lights. haha

Good point lol, the lights will add to the height. I can barely fit through my bank drive through anymore, but I'm not worried. I'll definitely be getting dual 48" firestiks this summer, probably a month or so when I free up some money.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking. dual 4 fts or dual 102 whips. haha i should go ask orw and see what they recommend.

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for asking a dumb questions, but do you HAVE to use those tall antenna's if you want to hook up a cb? Can you just use the basic radio antenna already on the Expy? Reason i ask is becus myself and my bro want to get Cb radio, so when we travel on our camping trips, we can communicate, so range doesnt have to be that far! Also whats a decent basic cb radio that wont break the bank? $200? Thanks and sorry for threadjacking

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for asking a dumb questions, but do you HAVE to use those tall antenna's if you want to hook up a cb? Can you just use the basic radio antenna already on the Expy? Reason i ask is becus myself and my bro want to get Cb radio, so when we travel on our camping trips, we can communicate, so range doesnt have to be that far! Also whats a decent basic cb radio that wont break the bank? $200? Thanks and sorry for threadjacking

The regular radio antenna will not work for a CB. You can get smaller antennas, but they will some times work and sometimes not.

I am currently running a 3' antenna on a Magnet mount with a " Quick Connect " (Push down on the antenna and twist a 1/4 turn and the antenna is off) it works really well but since it is a magnet mount you have to be careful about tree limbs because they will "knock it over".

I am also running a really cheap Cobra 19

https://www.cobra.com/detail/19-dx-iv-compact-cb-radio.cfm

It is a weak radio, but if you take it to a CB shop and have them " Peak & Tune " ( peak and tune costs about $20 - $30 ) it like I did you can get a 5 mile range out of it in clear weather, but if you are having an overcast day or have alot of wind the range goes down to about 2 - 2 1/2 miles.

The nice thing about this radio is that it is compact and does not take up much space at all plus it is only about $70.

You can even step up to a Cobra 29 LTD for about $120 or a Cobra 25 WX NW ( has weather channels and a backlight display) for about $140. Both of these radios are " Full Power " radios, but they do take up a bit more room.

The only time you are going to spend over $200 for a radio alone is if you pic up one of the newer " Bluetooth " radios that will sync with your phone for calls.

If you would like some pics let me know and I will try to get some up for you.