cd changer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohs00

Reaction score
i installed a aftermarket deck a while ago and now the stock cd changer doesnt work. It did work with the stock deck so i dont know if i missed a wire or what. everything works on the aftermarket deck and i have good sound. I dont remember any extra wire though. So i guess i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem when they put their aftermarket deck in or if its just me.. o the cd changer is in the arm rest if that helps and its a 00 xlt thanks for the help

MadTxn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your truck? There's (I believe) a special Metra wiring harness that would let you use the changer. I could be wrong.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
90% of aftermarket decks aren't compatible with the CD changer. I took mine out of my 99 Expo because it lost function because of the aftermarket deck. Most aftermarket decks can use a CD changer, but usually just one from their company.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no way (to my knowledge) to make the stock cd changer compatible with the aftermarket HU. Sorry...

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what brand cd changer? i thought it was alpine or something popular. if you got the same brand hu it should work.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CD changed is some POS brand made specifically for Ford I believe. Could be wrong. But I doubt it.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the research I've done, it looks like the cd changer is either made by Clarion or Alpine for the first gen Ex (depending on year, I believe). Even so, I don't think it's possible to make the unit compatible with an aftermarket HU, but I will keep doing research for you. I'm pretty interested myself, right now!

OP
OP
M

mohs00

Reaction score
its a 2000 xlt expo the deck is a jvc im not sure what brand the changer is but what ever fords stock changers are is the brand

OVERKILL

Reaction score
Originally posted by mohs00
its a 2000 xlt expo the deck is a jvc im not sure what brand the changer is but what ever fords stock changers are is the brand

Mohs,

I put a JVC 12 disc changer in the stock location (armrest) in my 2000 XLT.
It fits almost perfect.
I even used the factory bracket.

This is an option for you to consider.

:)

roryqueale

Reaction score
To use a cd changer that is not the same brand as the deck, you need to get an fm modulator to go in between the cd changer and your deck.
I had the same problem with a car a long time ago and thats how i had to go about it. Basically what the modulator does is send the signal (music) from the changer out to your deck as a frequency.
You put your deck on 88.7 (if i can remember right).
Regarding actually changing cd, and plyaing, pausing etc, i'm not sure if you'll be able to do that with your aftermarket deck.
Some changers have that little seperate remote thingy ('bout 3 inches long) that is connected only to the changer and thats how you control it. I dont know if one is available for the stock expy changer or not...

Other option is to get a changer compatible with your new deck (will say in the manual).