cd less and a possible work around ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William R Kohut

Reaction score
i bought my wife a 2019 ford expedition max. Obviously it doesn’t have a cd player or an aux cord. she owns a cd player that connects with an aux cord . is it possible to use a usb to a female aux connection to have it work or do i have to purchase a usb cd player?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont think there is a Bluetooth option. You have to have a very specific aux to USB adapter. Most adapters are usb to aux. I use a fm transmitter which works ok for aftermarket RSE. Uploading the music to a phone or flash drive is probably the best option.

Dclr

Reaction score
i bought my wife a 2019 ford expedition max. Obviously it doesn’t have a cd player or an aux cord. she owns a cd player that connects with an aux cord . is it possible to use a usb to a female aux connection to have it work or do i have to purchase a usb cd player?

I'll be honest, I haven't owned a portable CD player since the late 90's but can definitely help. PM me and I'd be happy to walk you through the process. There are so many variables, it's difficult to iron out in a single post.

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bunch of options...probably the easiest and lowest tech with worst sound quality would be to use an FM transmitter. Plug in to the CD player and tune your radio to the transmitters frequency and you’re done.

You could get an iPod and plug in via USB or Bluetooth.

Ditto for an Android phone or iPhone.

You could also store music on a USB memory stick.

You could pay for a service like Spotify or Apple Music where you can create your own play lists and stream via Android or iPhone.

Most of the options above would require you to download music to a device, be it Android, iPhone, or memory stick. That means you need to either rip a CD (convert the CD to individual song MP3 files), or buy digital copies of your music.

The subscription option gives you access to massive quantities of songs, but comes with a monthly cost.

The first option would probably cost less than $20 but results can be iffy depending on how crowded the airwaves are in your area. To avoid that problem when I lived in Chicago I used to have an FM transmitter for SiriusXM radios that weren’t integrated into the car. But those wired between the factory antenna and the radio and ensured a solid signal. You could still do that but it would mean you have to partially disassemble the dash.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Putting them onto a USB is by far the best option, especially safety standpoint but if you want to be a hero in multiple ways you can start here....

AUKEY Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, Wireless Audio Adapter with aptX Low Latency, Dual Links for for Headphones, TVs, Home Stereo Systems and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXY11BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_J3hzEb2E0XAQ6

I have the old version of this and it is so handy in so many ways. It will work as a transmitter to transmit to the car, only issue is track skipping won't work. She will have to do it on the CD player. When she gets tired of that (and you save the day again by ripping her CDs to USB stick) you can use it to connect two sets of BT headphones to a single source. Ie kids can watch something together in the back, you and wifey can watch a movie together on a plane because it has a built in battery etc. Etc. Etc... Endless possibilities...

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good call, forgot about BT transmitters.

that said I have one of these from Anker and it SUCKS (probably why I forgot I have it). Not reliable enough. Maybe things have improved or this brand is better, but decoding blinking lights when there is inevitably a connection issue stinks.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MxRacer965
How was it unreliable? Would it drop out? Pairing on a plane full of other bt headphones could be a pain/problem but mine has been 100% reliable once paired. On planes it's great because it works all the way to the bathroom.