Changed my oil today..............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carl Keef Jr

Reaction score
I had a Variable Cam Timing and sludge issue on my 2010 Expedition at around 120,000 miles. A Ford Technician told me that it turns out that everywhere else in the world that Ford sells this engine, they recommend using 5W-30 motor oil. But in the US, to meet emission standards, they recommend 5W-20 oil. So now for oil changes, I use a FRAM Tough Guard TG2, 15K Mile Change Interval Spin-On Oil Filter and Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil. It runs great and no issues. I also recommend using 2 11oz cans of Bg109 Bg EPR Engine Performance Restoration every now and then when you hit higher mileage like 100,000+.

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
Here's the real deal. USA brass made and machined, nothing to catch and open by mistake or get ripped off. Forget that Chinese garbage.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/products-parts.cfm

https://www.nospillsystems.com/index.cfm

I think its "cheap" Japanese brass. As far as it catching and opening by mistake,(especially on an Expedition) it would take quite a feat, to pull the plastic locking piece off, then pull the metal lever, then turn said lever.

As far as them being for wimps, the following is a small list of wimpy companies.

other-manufacturers.jpg

To each his own, have fun and be safe out there.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a Variable Cam Timing and sludge issue on my 2010 Expedition at around 120,000 miles. A Ford Technician told me that it turns out that everywhere else in the world that Ford sells this engine, they recommend using 5W-30 motor oil. But in the US, to meet emission standards, they recommend 5W-20 oil. So now for oil changes, I use a FRAM Tough Guard TG2, 15K Mile Change Interval Spin-On Oil Filter and Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil. It runs great and no issues. I also recommend using 2 11oz cans of Bg109 Bg EPR Engine Performance Restoration every now and then when you hit higher mileage like 100,000+.
The only thing I agree with here is the oil.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its "cheap" Japanese brass. As far as it catching and opening by mistake,(especially on an Expedition) it would take quite a feat, to pull the plastic locking piece off, then pull the metal lever, then turn said lever.

As far as them being for wimps, the following is a small list of wimpy companies.

other-manufacturers.jpg

To each his own, have fun and be safe out there.
Catching on something is not the issue. For me; I don't want to watch the oil drain for 10 minutes when I could have easily removed the plug in 10 seconds with my 5/8" wrench. It does sound awfully wimpy and lazy and not to mention a waste of money. It reminds me of having a conveyer belt put in to take you out to your car ...........lol.