Changing fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Thx gentlemen, the fuel filter replacment was quite easy today & cheap, also bought the metal connection release tool..then blew out that area where the coolant was visible in hopes to get the heater control valve to leak again just to justify purchasi g a new one...ran the truck around the block with heater going then came back popped the hood & continued to let it run...no leaking but regardless tomorrow I will pull 3 & 4 coils just to check those out & clean em up. Must admit the truck is running better but still ain't right..we all know our 5.4s very well & how they should run & sound. Conclusively, I do think one of those coils are fouled up..thx again.b68df1d01fdc14a06b8dae90365c5933.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If the water got into the well, change the plug too. The insulator can be cracked. Cheap insurance. Don't even think of a cheap Chinese coil. If you replace one, get a real one.

If the plugs have been there for 70K miles or so, just replace 'em all. You got a miss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
In hindsight you're right should have left it alone, but it turns out I got it off quick & easy & was lucky not to break the blue plastic lock on the tank side connection..the one on there was a motorcraft which tells me it had been replaced..Im the 2nd owner but have had it since'14.. I agree, definitely not the issue ..thx15a94bd024065d0d575daf64aace8104.jpg

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you able to clean the injector connection points? looked like from the picture the points were dirty which could also cause a disruption in the signal from, and to the contact points.

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Sure did, it must be a coil or plug...running better tho..do you happen to know the exact function of the heater control valve? I see a swivel like arm that compresses but have never actually seen it work..thx

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heater control valve just regulates hot water flow to the front heater core. It's a common leak point with age. The rear is fed unrestricted hot water. The valve defaults to the open position and closes with vacuum applied when you request cold air. There is a blend door in the front HVAC unit but the hot water valve just aids in cutting off hot water flow to the heater core to aid in providing cooler air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
So the lever should contract when the rear air( thermostat all the way red) is on?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the lever should contract when the rear air( thermostat all the way red) is on?

No, it contracts when you request colder air. The rear temperature selection has no affect on the hot water valve. Only the front.