Changing GEM Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rleinen79

Reaction score
Hi all

Newbie here, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere. I spent quite a while searching, and have yet to find an answer.

I have an 03 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with the 5.4, 92,000 miles. Recently, the radio started staying on with the key out and driver door open. After some research on this site, I was able to find out about the windshield leak, as well as the other symptoms that go along with it. I appear to have everything other people describe. My memory seats, heated seats, auto lights, and puddle lights on the mirrors don't work. Also, the dome lights don't come on when the doors are opened.

Assuming the problem is the GEM module, is it something I can change myself? I can't find one listed anywhere. Am I looking for the right thing? Where is it located on the car? Is it easy to change? Does it need to be programmed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob

B

bedrck46

Yes you can change it yourself The GEM is located on the back side of the fuse block under the dash There are two large connectors attached to the fuse block that should be removed first as that will make it easier to remove the assembly. I would suggest that you use a mirror and flashlight to look up and see what you will be up against. Also be careful as you will need to use a little force to get the assembly out a little force is ok just don't get to forceful.

When you get the fuse block and GEM out you can take the cover off the GEM and inspect if to see if there is any burnt or corrosion on the circuit board. Also take the fuse block and shake it, turn it upside down etc to see if there is any water in it. If there are signs of water or corrosion you can dry it out and then I would reassembly everything and give it a try. Sometimes water in the fuse block is mistaken for a bad GEM and just drying out the fuse block will solve the problem Of course if the windshield is leaking you will need to address that problem so you don't have the problem with the fuse block/GEM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420