Getting to the GEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slats

Reaction score
I have a 1999 4wd that developed gremlins. After reading on here it sounds like the GEM module. All well & good. I get the panels off, unbolt everything, but can't get the fuse box off to reach the GEM. YouTube shows a tab on the face to be depressed, but there is no tab to press on mine. Literally nothing there but more plastic. How the heck do I get this thing off to reach the GEM?

OP
OP
S

Slats

Reaction score
Here is where I'm at.

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_125829381.jpg
    IMG_20240217_125829381.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
S

Slats

Reaction score
Right. 2 at the top., 2 on the bottom. Will try pulling the relays & see if I can figure out what's going on with it, thanks.

astro110

Reaction score
I have replaced my gem. Pull the relays, on the back of the fuse box you have to remove the two wire blocks which are held by one bolt each. The tab is metal and you don't push it. It is there for stability. When the fusebox is loose you can slide the tab out of the slot. By looking at your picture it looks like you removed everything from the front. The fusebox won't move until you remove the wire blocks on the backside.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
I just did this today as well. It ain't fun. But yes, the fuse block and GEM come out as one unit, and you'll need a small 10mm socket and considerable wrist dexterity to remove the bolts holding the two wiring plugs into the fuse block. I'd also recommend a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry out the three plugs from the side of the GEM.

Also, be prepared for yout GEM to NOT be the problem - water can also bypass it and seep down into the fuse block itself and cause similar issues. That's what I'm thinking my issues stemmed from considering the blue powdery corrision I noticed while prying open the fuse block to get a better look....

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About 2 yrs ago, I had an electrical gremlin on my 1st gen that I looked for almost 3 months. I weas convinced the GEM was bad, and was even confirmed by a Firestone station. However, the Firestone would not replace the GEM because it had to be programmed by the dealer. When I took my truck to the dealer, they of course had to do their own diagnostics. The dealer discovered I had a lose ground wire in the passenger side kick panel...not a bad GEM. They fixed the ground issue, and I've not had any gremlins since.