Changing wheel studs - difficult???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtblankus

Reaction score
So, I need some new wheel studs on my 1997 Expedition, front passenger wheel. Are these difficult to change? My husband has some experience repairing cars, but has never worked on something with auto hubs on the front, always manual lock. Is there anything to changing these studs? Do you need any tools like a press? I have seen posts about some of them having the studs pressed into the rotor. Is that true on the 1997?

Also would like comments on lessening body roll. Maybe new shocks? Although 97 only has 65K miles on it - and original shocks. Body roll seems excessive, especially with a Kansas side wind - it feels like it's hard to keep on the road.

Thanks!

Erin

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You're probably just better off replacing the wheel hub itself. If the truck is still running the stock ones, the bearings are probably ready for replacement anyway.

These trucks don't have automatic hubs, they are actually more like normal front wheel drive hub. So there's nothing special to changing them out.

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
X2 its a preventive maintenance deal anyways. But if he wants to go the cheaper route.
Pull the rotor off. Smack old studs out with hammer.
Install new ones and suck them in with an over sized nut or piece of pipe with the lug nuts.
There should be a U Tube video out there somebody covered already.
Just search "installing wheel studs"

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I just think that I would be pissed if I went to all the trouble of changing out those studs and then started hearing bearing noise a few weeks later.

OP
OP
M

mtblankus

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Just one question... Don't bearings last longer than 65,000 miles? Or is that a problem with first gen expeditions?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Just one question... Don't bearings last longer than 65,000 miles? Or is that a problem with first gen expeditions?

I am on my original bearings at 106,000 miles. Have not heard of issues with them but sure others will speak up if they have. Think the point was for a few extra bucks you can have all new hardware there with less effort.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...acementQQWheel_HubQQ19972000QQREPF283716.html

I replaced studs in my mustang axles and it took a bit more than a hammer. Press would make it easy but I used 5 pound mall and had to get very aggressive with it.

Last edited:

paul_smith_347

Reaction score
Somewhat off topic here, but does anyone know if second or third gen hubs will fit on first gen? I need to replace one of mine. I also am looking at new wheels. The one I like is not cut in a 5x135 pattern. They do offer a 6x135 though... that is the pattern on newer expy's right? Neway, I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone....and not have to run a wheel adapter.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Nope, the later gens used IWE (integrated wheel ends) where the gen 1 trucks had a center axle disconnect system.