Check engine prob. EGR press diff switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkerwa

Reaction score
Can someone help? I have a 98 expedition 4x4 with 5.4 L engine122K miles on it. I have the check engine on (for about 4-5 months now) and my first step into correctiong problem was to get autozone to hook computer up. they said EGR valve -- I check removed and cleaned seemed ok to me so I put back on and reset light . Light came back on . I talked to a local mechanic and he said 90% sure it was the Differential pressure switch , so I replaced it with on e from Auto zone - reset light and 30 minutes later light back on . I took to Ford place and had it hooked to their computer as I know theirs tells more and the tech said it was saying the Differential Pressure switch for the EGR valve needs changing. Well I replied I just changed it and there is a new one on. He said it must have been bad out of the box. I took it back and exchanged it for another new one and the light is back on...It is not the Diff Press Switch and the computer is saying it is. I checked it with the prociedure in the Haynes manual and it looks like all voltage measurements are close. What next? does something need cleaning ? holes need clearing out?

PBH

Reaction score
The differential pressure switch has been subject to several recalls I believe. There are also several versions. I would not recomend buying this part from Autozone, go to the dealer.

Make sure you are getting the correct switch. Make sure it has power supplied and is providing an analog output in response to changing egr signals, and make sure the tubes are not plugged.