Check Fuel Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TpaRob

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer with 215,000 miles. The "Check Fuel Cap" warning has been coming on. I first tried a new cap from Advanced Auto. Then bought a new cap from the Ford dealer. Still get the warning. Mechanic did a smoke test and found a hairline crack in the fuel tank and on one seal. We had to buy a replacement tank from a salvage yard and we replaced the whole fuel pump assembly. I still smell gas and the warning is still coming on. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 Expy I got a SES light & P0446 code last October, but no "check fuel cap" warning.

Still has that problem. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/ses-p0446.45254/
Tried a new fuel cap, no fix. My mechanic says it may be the end of this Expy since its a rustbucket and would be too expensive to fix. He said its frequently a cracked gas tank. I would think that could be patched with epoxy but ??? I would imagine I could fix that with Gorilla Tape (which I use for so many things). I think I could make a new gas tank out of Gorilla Tape (that part was humor).

I may go the route of put $450 in it to get a NYS waiver and drive it another year or I may just drive it with an expired inspection. I gotta at least try the "evap vacuum control valve" thing that MrHam suggested.

Love this truck, want to milk more miles out of it. With the high prices of used vehicles maybe I'd sell it for $2000 to let someone else deal with it. Conflicted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TpaRob

Reaction score
I have a new fuel cap from Ford. I replaced the fuel tank and sending unit/fuel pump assembly. I need to look up this Mr. Ham you speak of.

Thanks.

Plati

Reaction score
Here is another good one ... from another good one ... RIP