Clanging noise from front left engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig72

Reaction score
Hey gang. Need help identifying a noise on the old Exped. 1998 4.6 4x4, has about 276k miles. Its a clanging noise that doesn't seem to go away. At first I thought maybe something inside one of the cats had broke loose, because I've had that happen, but this is coming from much further up front.
Here's a link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYQzaDsPCWX93rxB7

I'm wondering if its timing chain related. Does not sound like its dragging on plastic, but maybe one of the guides broke and its clanging around? I had all of the chains, tensioners, guides, etc replaced about 10 years and 100k miles ago during a head gasket fix. No codes and truck runs fine otherwise.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you take a mechanic's stethoscope and further locate the noise source ? I can't tell if it's a cracked exhaust manifold or a chain slop.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
I had probed in there with one, but couldn't isolate. It was louder on the block and louder the closer to the front I got. Definitely doesn't sound like any exhaust leak I've ever heard. It has a clanging/ringing noise to it. Almost like a small rock being shaken in a metal jar type of sound. It was quieter at startup today, but could hear it get a bit louder as the engine warmed up.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Topping off the oil seemed to help for a bit, it was about half a quart low. But now it seems its back. May be coincidental, not sure. Hoping to get another look at it this weekend.

Bilsto

Reaction score
My wild guess would be that the timing chain is hitting the timing cover....? If that's still the original timing set, and the guides are gone, there might be just enough stretch in the chain for it to do that. Don't quote me on that one though.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
My wild guess would be that the timing chain is hitting the timing cover....? If that's still the original timing set, and the guides are gone, there might be just enough stretch in the chain for it to do that. Don't quote me on that one though.
That was my thought as well. I had the chains, guides, sprockets, and tensioners all replaced about 10 years and 100k miles ago when I had the head gaskets done.
Is there any problem with running the truck for a couple minutes w/o the serpentine belt on? I'm wanting to eliminate any of those auxiliary item. I need to change the belt anyway.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was my thought as well. I had the chains, guides, sprockets, and tensioners all replaced about 10 years and 100k miles ago when I had the head gaskets done.
Is there any problem with running the truck for a couple minutes w/o the serpentine belt on? I'm wanting to eliminate any of those auxiliary item. I need to change the belt anyway.

Run it when the motor is cool and you won't have a problem. But don't run it for more than a few minutes or it'll overheat.

Bilsto

Reaction score
What Hamfisted said. I'd only run it when it's cool, and only for a few minutes.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Finally got around to pulling the belt yesterday and letting it run for a minute. The sound is still there. We've noticed with this warmer weather that it starts of pretty noisy, then quiets down a bit once the engine completely warms up. I wonder if once the oil get circulating, whatever is clanging is catching some lube.

So my big question is, if I ever get around to it.. can the timing guides and/or tensioners be replaced without taking off the chains and disturbing the timing?