Clean MAF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
after 2 trips to anderson with out cleaning my air filter i knew she would be dirty. not too bad but still dirty. so i cleaned it and reoiled it. and i also cleaned the MAF. i have my power back. i thought she was lacking a little bit. so just a tip. when you do oil change ill say every other one just clean the MAF i know its a pain but itll help.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Here's my shot at it. Kinda paraphrased and borrowed from a few different sources, but if someone else has a better walkthrough, feel free to correct me.

You clean the MAF sensor by spraying the sensor element with some electronics cleaner. You shouldn't use any other type of cleaner or it will probably damage your sensor.
Some people have taken the whole sensor out, others just spray down the tube to the sensor. Not sure which is best. Just seems like a lot of extra work to pull the whole thing out.

So disconnect your air inlet tube just ahead of the sensor and you can see it in there ( See the pic underneath if it showed up) Spray the electronics cleaner at the wire element in the center of the little MAF sensor. Let it soak in for a few minutes, then give it another spray. Let it sit for a few more minutes, then reconnect the air inlet tubing and start the engine.

I'm gonna do mine this afternoon.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,150
Last edited:

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one thing to add

The element on the MAF heats up when the vehicle is on. I would add that everyone clean the MAF after the car has been sitting for at least 3-4 hours. The cold spray of electronic cleaner could damage a MAF element that is still warm. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
panda24619

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i take my completely off. its not to bad just a few steps and few pinches of my fingers. haha but you can upgrade them but theyre kind of expensive but they do increase your power and mpg. is it worth it? not really unless you up grade your TB too.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i clean mine everytime i clean the airfilter, come to think of it we should probly clean the IAC when we do this also as a maint item:confused: