Cleaning tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skmcclain

Reaction score
Give me all your cleaning tips. I live on a road that has some gravel, and travel in dirt roads a good bit. So my door frames and inside the back hatch get really dirty. I usually just use a wet cloth to wipe it clean but it leaves it blotchy.
Also traveling I get the bugs stuck to the front and scrub and scrub and can't get them all off. I also have hard water spots all over.
I plan on going to buy some chemical guys stuff and see how that does...any suggestions?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you may be a good case for ceramic coating. It’s pricey though. I believe your only other option is to wash often. I can wax the truck twice before I go down to the cabin and those dirt roads still make it that a hose off won’t cut it and I have to wash. Unfortunately dirt roads really dirty it up. Other things to check is the air filter more often and to unclog those drain covers in the doors once in a while by removing them and allowing the dirt to escape. Otherwise you end up with water filled slosh doors after a year or so.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pick a routine and keep after it... I use Top coat f11 and got a little kit with some microfiber towels and all their best seller products. I've since just bought gallon jugs of the f11 and use their poly wash when really grimy/pre detail. Door jams and rear hatch/glass I can hit with water and dry it with a microfiber and it champs right up. This is the first vehicle I've used top coat on and I'm a fan. Been pouting it on the camper and the job of bug removal is a cinch with the poly wash and a warm bucket of water and microfiber wash mitt.

A lot of stuff works, just need to keep after it...

I slack on my wheels but when I do give them attention, they champ right up with this stuff too.

2019 Plat Exp

Reaction score
Give me all your cleaning tips. I live on a road that has some gravel, and travel in dirt roads a good bit. So my door frames and inside the back hatch get really dirty. I usually just use a wet cloth to wipe it clean but it leaves it blotchy.
Also traveling I get the bugs stuck to the front and scrub and scrub and can't get them all off. I also have hard water spots all over.
I plan on going to buy some chemical guys stuff and see how that does...any suggestions?

I would do a full detail and put some kind of long lasting coating on such as a paint sealant or even a ceramic coating. I would suggest a sealant and re-apply it yearly as do it yourself ceramic is a bit more tricky. This will help when it comes to clean up as it wont be sticking to the clear coat but on the paint sealant. As far as the door jams if its just dust you can use one of the California dusters to wipe down loose dirt then like you said a damp cloth to clean up and I use a clean microfiber to get the rest. You can also look into a pressure washer for it just dont go crazy overboard on the PSI and strip the paint off but it does help to remove bug guts fairly easy. Whatever is left just use some elbow grease to clean up or you can use some of the products designed to help remove tar / bug guts. Only way to get rid of the hard water spots usually is buffing them out with a polisher which would be accomplished in the full detail.

I get all my stuff from Autogeek.net they have tons of great products plus a forum dedicated to detailing lots of good info over there.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ducky and Chemical Guys heavy duty Water spot remover work pretty good for fairly fresh water spots. Old baked and layered on spots are nothing but hard work and could end up in a cut and polish. Chemical guys stuff is very hit and miss. I like their foam soap, quick leather detailer and my favorite is the Butter Wet Wax. It’s so quick and easy to get that carnauba deep shine. No real protection but it does bead water and make the next wash easier. It washes off in 4 or so washes. But the deep shine and ease of use is amazing and you can put it on top of any sealant for that extra depth.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a handheld steam cleaner? I am considering using my Shark steam cleaner with a microfiber attachment to quickly erase the baked on bugs from the front fascia and windshield.
Thoughts?

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just use a bug and tar remover. Haven’t noticed it hurting paint, yet anyway.

to stop water spots I fire up the leaf blower and just get the car fully dry. I use the chemical guys shammy and finish with the blower. You’d be surprised how much that will find in all sorts of trim.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Water spots on glass you can use Bar Keepers Friend. Best solution to waterspots is to not let it happen in the first place. I'm not a fanatic, but I use a wax-n-dry: spray it on while the panel is still wet and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Use plenty of clean microfiber cloths while cleaning.

You can use the same or similar wax-n-dry, or the wax on and wipe off, on the door jams and around the inside of the tailgate.

The spray on bug cleaner works ok, but still requires some elbow grease. A good slick coat of wax before the bugs get on it helps.

Proud Okie

Reaction score
you can very easily remove water spots with a mixture of vinegar and water. works like a charm and no heavy duty rubbing. I also put on the weather tech mud flap/rock protector. No drill and prevents gravel chips on paint behind wheel openings.

Last edited:

MeBu

Reaction score
I have mine ceramic coated which helps a ton. To wash I use Chemical Guys Hydro Suds in a foam cannon. I just got back from Moab and the bugs and dirt were really caked on. I let the foam sit for a few minutes and they came right off with a microfiber chamois. I power wash the foam off and then rinse with de-ionized water. P&S Products has a product called brake buster that's great for wheels and tires. I also use the P&S interior cleaner. I use a blower to dry to make sure I don't have spots.