Climate Controlled Seats Inquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reluctant to post this question but I'll defer to the experts. Does climate controlled seats pertain solely to the seat cushion or does it include the seat back? The 2013 manual simply states that more lights indicate a higher setting. It was too darn hot to test the heated seats today but only the seat cushions were cooling when activated.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reluctant to post this question but I'll defer to the experts. Does climate controlled seats pertain solely to the seat cushion or does it include the seat back? The 2013 manual simply states that more lights indicate a higher setting. It was too darn hot to test the heated seats today but only the seat cushions were cooling when activated.
My '07 heats the bottom and back, some people say the back heats more than the bottom.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2008 heats the back, but the cool function mainly cools the Bottom, there are channels to allow the cold air to blow onto your back, but they don’t seem to let much air flow up to your back, so you don’t feel it. I changed the bottom seat cover a few years ago, and there is no heating element in the bottom seat, so I know it only heats my back.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2008 heats the back, but the cool function mainly cools the Bottom, there are channels to allow the cold air to blow onto your back, but they don’t seem to let much air flow up to your back, so you don’t feel it. I changed the bottom seat cover a few years ago, and there is no heating element in the bottom seat, so I know it only heats my back.

It heats and cools both bottom and back. There are no heating elements anywhere in the Expedition seats. It’s forced air heat/cooling via two peltiers which heat and cool the air as the blowers force it through.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There were complaints elsewhere that there is a part under the seat that gets crushed or bent restricting the air flow also but this is probably a better system since the heated wire type often had short circuits and sometimes even caught the seats on fire. I replaced the wires in my last truck after a wire broke in two places and it had burnt a deep channel in the foam where the wire was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That's exactly what I'm noticing. The seat cushion and backrest heat up noticeably (tested this morning) but the cooling function only seems to affect the bottom.

It heats and cools both bottom and back. There are no heating elements anywhere in the Expedition seats. It’s forced air heat/cooling via two peltiers which heat and cool the air as the blowers force it through.

What year, and can you actually feel the backrest cooling? I hear those fans blowing but the backrest isn't benefiting much.

There were complaints elsewhere that there is a part under the seat that gets crushed or bent restricting the air flow also but this is probably a better system since the heated wire type often had short circuits and sometimes even caught the seats on fire. I replaced the wires in my last truck after a wire broke in two places and it had burnt a deep channel in the foam where the wire was.

The passenger seat is rarely used and no cooling can be felt from that backrest either. Curious about that air restriction though. I checked the filter and it's the original, not that FS106 replacement without any actual filtering. It's in perfect condition so that's not the issue.

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm noticing. The seat cushion and backrest heat up noticeably (tested this morning) but the cooling function only seems to affect the bottom.
While our 2015 Explorer Sport cools and heats both lower and upper, in our 17' Limited, both lower and upper provide warmth, I also notice that only the seat cushion provides any cooling. Ironically, while I rarely use either cool or heating functions for the seat, when I have used the cooling in the Exp, it is usually really hot and humid, and the cooling effect affords more of a feeling of having wet my pants than anything else.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While our 2015 Explorer Sport cools and heats both lower and upper, in our 17' Limited, both lower and upper provide warmth, I also notice that only the seat cushion provides any cooling. Ironically, while I rarely use either cool or heating functions for the seat, when I have used the cooling in the Exp, it is usually really hot and humid, and the cooling effect affords more of a feeling of having wet my pants than anything else.
I think the cold air blows across the bottom from the AC.