Code P0401 in my 2001 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well today I got a check engine light and checked it with a code a reader to find it is P0401. I have been searching the forum and doing some reading on this and it looks like the EGR sensor is most likely the culprit. What I am wondering is should I replace the EGR valve as well as the EGR sensor? I have 119000 on the truck so I am sure these items have never been replaced. Any input would be great.--Thanks1

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had that same code about a week ago and changed egr valve this last Monday and as of now no code thrown and running great. Just be careful when I bolting valve as I snapped a bolt and couldn't get it out so I had to drill and retap it. 30 min job turned into about 4 hrs. Had to pull entire intake and plentum off. I did however spend about 45 min of that time cleaning plentum and throtle body to like new condition since I had it off.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
May want to check vacuum line to the egr valve and make sure the hoses on the dfpe sensor are good 1st.

P0401A_zps47eeb4cb.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up the sensor yesterday and am going to install it and check out the hoses today. I will probably drive it and see if the code comes back and if it does do the valve. I think I read other people were having some hesitation issues also.........I am too at lower speeds (it is fairly minor but it is there). I am wondering if this could be part of the low fuel mileage issues too? Any more input would be great!

OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New EGR sensor and hose installed (only needed to replace 1) and I did the Seafoam treatment through the brake booster.........I can tell you that it has ALOT better response when I hit the gas pedal! It also doesn't seem to be working as hard when driving. The white smoke was rolling when I did the Seafoam!!!! I am curious to check gas mileage and see if that increases.....I have a feeling it will.

OP
OP
B

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a follow up.......since I changed the EGR sensor and did the seasfoam treatment my mileage has gone up to almost 12.5 so something worked. Thanks for all the input on this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRick4x4