Coil and plug recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskytom

Reaction score
Ford has identified counterfeit OEM Ford parts, including spark plugs and ignition coils, being sold through retailers such as Amazon: https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/ford-files-trademark-infringement-lawsuit-over-counterfeit-parts/

For those that buy OEM Ford parts - make sure you trust the place you purchase them.

I buy my critical OEM parts from a dealer and a Motorcraft jobber - to ensure I get the real deal.
I'll second that and read a similar article a while back. I specifically recalled the counterfeits with plugs and also bagged components. Also reiterate with the rest here to stick with OEM/Motorcraft. While my previous non-Ford vehicles might have been more accepting of aftermarket, my 3 Expeditions got nothing but Motorcraft from parts to especially fluids (except oil/filter). Cost is sometimes a bit of a hard pill to swallow, but I know I won't have to go back and do it a second time. As for avoiding the counterfeits (and for best price), I've been treated well with R*auto for parts

jcdeal

Reaction score
Definitely check your plugs. I ended up with counterfeit ones. I bought Motorcraft plugs on amazon for my fusion hybrid. 7k miles later I had a misfire. I was swapping coils between cylinders and scratching my head. Checked the plugs and gap had went from 0.05 to 0.08 in those 7k miles. All plugs were almost that bad. I actually re-gapped and ran without issues for a few days until I could get good plugs. Compared them in detail to known good Motorcraft plugs and the only visible difference I could see was a green paint dot on the top. I am guessing the paint was an indication of inspection or something else.

On another note I tow with my 2017 expedition and I would say after ~30k miles the idle is rougher and new plugs has addressed it twice now.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OEM coils are very durable, keep them if good, watch the springs inside boots they can corrode. Rock Auto is the source for parts, no issues.