Cold start hard shift into 4th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting in the fall, I noticed the first time out of the neighborhood and up to speed I had a hard shift. Like it slapped into gear, kinda ****** the expy. I seldom drove these days so didn’t zero in on it til this week. Narrowed down it goes into 4th hard. I think 6th does this slightly, haven’t pinpointed that just yet. It’s fine once warm and really it just seems to be the first time shifting for the day.

noticed it’s better when giving it more gas. Still a hard shift, but it’s smoother and not as bothersome. It didn’t used to do this. It was last day of feb when it got delivered. Maybe it’s a normal cold weather thing? Like I said, noticed in the fall and it’s gotten worse as temps have gone down.

Just rolled 3700 miles. No towing until it had about 1100-1200 miles. Book said to wait until over 1000. I don’t lean on it until warm, I do punch it pretty often once it’s up to temp. I don’t do boost launches.

Might be from sitting so long between uses? Trans should be pressurized though. Im driving so little I put fuel stabilizer in.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting in the fall, I noticed the first time out of the neighborhood and up to speed I had a hard shift. Like it slapped into gear, kinda ****** the expy. I seldom drove these days so didn’t zero in on it til this week. Narrowed down it goes into 4th hard. I think 6th does this slightly, haven’t pinpointed that just yet. It’s fine once warm and really it just seems to be the first time shifting for the day.

noticed it’s better when giving it more gas. Still a hard shift, but it’s smoother and not as bothersome. It didn’t used to do this. It was last day of feb when it got delivered. Maybe it’s a normal cold weather thing? Like I said, noticed in the fall and it’s gotten worse as temps have gone down.

Just rolled 3700 miles. No towing until it had about 1100-1200 miles. Book said to wait until over 1000. I don’t lean on it until warm, I do punch it pretty often once it’s up to temp. I don’t do boost launches.

Might be from sitting so long between uses? Trans should be pressurized though. Im driving so little I put fuel stabilizer in.

Hard shifting for a modern automatic transmission is not normal. Time to take the vehicle to the dealer for a warranty repair. If it only shifts rough when cold, arrange to leave it overnight or over the weekend so they can drive it cold.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be low on fluid if it goes away when warm and the fluid expands

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless it’s dumping it in the radiator it can’t be low. Dry as a bone where it sits.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First winter with it? Incorrect factory fills aren’t unheard of, being a little low may go unnoticed in warmer months. Pressures are different when cold too so slight irregular shifting is common but it shouldn’t be excessive.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A popular complaint with the 10speed is a hard shift into fifth, especially when cold.

On a cold morning, the transmission would shift out of 3rd and then do nothing for few seconds then slams into 5th. As far as I know, there is no real fix for this.

I would reset the learning tables and try a fresh start.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These new transmissions are full of so many weird quirks. I have experienced almost every complaint about the transmission on this forum at least once. Except for the overheating and I have had it almost there on purpose. They all seem to come and go at random and can’t be duplicated over and over for the dealer to pinpoint a problem. The 10R80 loves to be warm to hot to operate properly. I would see if you can reproduce it on a regular basis to show the dealer. Otherwise the dealer will shrug their shoulders and maybe offer a reset/program and send you on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First winter with it? Incorrect factory fills aren’t unheard of, being a little low may go unnoticed in warmer months. Pressures are different when cold too so slight irregular shifting is common but it shouldn’t be excessive.

got it last day of feb. didn’t notice this happening until maybe mid sept or oct. just don’t drive enough to think of it. Once a week grocery runs have been about it for months.

it’s a new feature. I notice stuff like this. Honda had a TSB on our van that took care of something like this. It would slap hard into a gear sometimes, totally random. Was wondering if such existed for the expy.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine sits in heated garage so my trans temps are rarely rock bottom. Mine as always shifted better than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Super smooth, with the occasional slam into reverse if I don't let it idle 5 seconds before going into reverse.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW I disliked how the transmission shifted so much I bought a tune from 5 star. The 1-3 and 3-5 skip shift especially were irritating. They both got less noticeable once I hit >9K miles or so. I assume as the transmission has broken in some it’s gotten better. I had a Mustang GT rental car in Feb 2020 and transmission shifted better (same transmission as expedition), but it had 18K of what I assume were hard miles on it.

I do notice that stone cold out of the garage here in West Michigan a 1-2 up shift is kinda “clunky” until warm (11K on odometer). I only experience it when I’m slowly leaving the cul-de-sac after backing out of the driveway, hence the opportunity for a 1-2 shift instead of the usual 1-3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69