Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted in my original thread below but it’s an older post so I thought I’d start a new thread for this question.

I’m attempting to do a compression test but I’m not sure what I need to do to disable the vehicle from starting. I first found the ignition fuse and removed it. The vehicle started so I immediately shut it off. I looked at the fuse diagram again and watched some YouTube videos. I found there is a second ignition fuse so I pulled that. The videos said to remove fuel pump fuse, so I did. Now with both ignition fuses (111 and 113 I think) and the fuel pump fuse removed, it won’t even turn over.

Do I put the ignition fuses back in and just leave the fuel pump fuse out?

Persistent #8 misfire, 01 Navigator
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-#8-misfire,-01-Navigator.38944/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first question is why the compression test? As for the cranking without starting,the easy way,although a pain in the ass is to hook a remote starter directly to the starter. It's a momentary contact switch with large gauge wires that connects between the battery positive and the starter solenoid. Still chasing misfires?

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Misfire on #8. I bought it this way and I’m just getting around to working on it. A dealer supposedly changed plugs and coils on that side, charged the former owner almost $1000, then told her it needed a new motor (probably also selling her a car in the process).

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just read the other thread. You've already got half the plugs out so just unplug the rest of the coils and remove the fuel pump fuse.You should be good to go then. Like I said in the other thread,good luck,you're doing awesome.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw the number 8 plug. It looks like it's not firing at all which would lead me to think electrical. Problem is,like the one report said,fuel washing the cylinder from not firing could cause scoring on the cylinder walls or broken rings. Either means an engine teardown or replacement. Once you've done your compression test,see about having a look down in the cylinder. I have a camera /monitor for that kind of thing. Nowadays,you can get them to plug into smart phones for like 40 bucks. Handy tool. I'll try to find the link I saw.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have a camera-bought it when I changed plugs on my 04 and had a piece of plastic in one of the holes!!

I’ll put the ignition fuses back and leave the fuel pump fuse out and try again. Thanks and I’ll update later.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the tester threaded in #8 (I thought I did-it felt threaded in), put ignition fuses back in and cranked it over 5 times is so. Tester read zero. I cranked it again maybe 8-10 times and the gauge still was sitting at zero. So I decided to check the other 3. I couldn’t get the GD tester threaded into any of them so I’m thinking (hoping) it wasn’t really threaded into #8 either. I can feel it hitting the plug hole but it won’t thread in. The adapter looks to be the correct size-it’s just a cheap HF set. I’m looking for a better tester-any suggestions?

For the heck of it, I stuck the camera down on the #8 hole. I don’t really know what I’m looking for, but it looked way gunkier in there than the plug hole next to it.

f38ef4f41c0f16b0a6130c189e6c4b0d.jpgb6f85680ef9fe64327a17175eff51d6a.jpgb505291603e5899e3752355aa9e5db8c.jpgc0b59a92ea5390b75c34e4ea85b09bc6.jpg

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I going to need something like this? I did notice the threads on the compression tester adapter are much shorter than the plug threads. This adapter says for 04 and newer but this 01 seems to be the same as my 04 I just worked on-same plugs.

aafa91e60fd2c256e98145be090929e6.jpg

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you will need the adapter. As for the pics,it's really hard to see anything other than the gunk you see. Does the camera have a light on it? Hard to tell. If you can,try bending the camera neck and have a look for the valves. If the valve is hanging down,it'll be like Moose said,possibly a broken valve spring. There was another thread in the third gens I think where the guy found that. That would be a relative easy fix if thats the case. How's the weather for this? It's hot and sticky up here. I need to work on my daughters Honda and aren't feeling too motivated.. Haahaha.