Consumer reports Expedition is trash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited, with 55,000miles on it, and yet to have one single problem! So for me to believe this article as truth is a little far fetched to me?

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

blakwing42

Reaction score
I used to put a lot of faith in CR because my father used to make almost all of his purchase decisions around their recommendations. As I've gotten older I've learned that CR is nothing more than a single source that is opinion driven by inherent biases of the authors and a limited set of polling data. Just like each and every other "source" out there.
It is nothing more, nothing less.

And out of millions of vehicles sold basing the overall reliability of something on such a tiny sample size is near meaningless. It comes down to personal experience, personal use cases, and a million other factors that can't be all adequately accounted for. And with any modern car.. I would posit that you would be hard pressed to find any model or manufacturer that produces a truly bad/unreliable car outside of anecdotal experience.

Take the cam phaser issue for example. Exactly how many cars and trucks does Ford build that have the Ecoboost? How many are on the road right now? Millions? Even several thousand cam phaser failures amounts to nothing but a statistical hiccup. It's like asking how many pentastar engines does Dodge have in circulation..

And what is "reliability"? It's already been hinted at in this thread. Reliability used to mean "how many times did this car leave me stranded"? Now it's been reduced to seat squeaks and wireless chargers not working though phone cases or "I just noticed a slight hum at max volume coming from speaker 14 of my 18 speaker surround audio system". And with that being the case how many vehicles are given positive or negative ratings based on equipment levels? That has also been touched on in this thread. How it's the limited and platinum trims showing the most problems. Just like with the older ram 1500's. I have a 2013 for work. It's a tradesman. I have had, literally, no issues in 140k miles. Hard miles. Tires, brakes, oil. That's it. But there is also next to nothing on that truck. It has an engine, a transmission, and only the things necessary to make it go down the road legally. There is no balanced climate control system, no infotainment, no electronic safety aids nor automated cruise control.. Nothing. So.. if there was an issue with any of that.. I'd never see it because I don't have it. So what do these "reliability ratings" really and honestly tell us?

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to put a lot of faith in CR because my father used to make almost all of his purchase decisions around their recommendations. As I've gotten older I've learned that CR is nothing more than a single source that is opinion driven by inherent biases of the authors and a limited set of polling data. Just like each and every other "source" out there.
It is nothing more, nothing less.

And out of millions of vehicles sold basing the overall reliability of something on such a tiny sample size is near meaningless. It comes down to personal experience, personal use cases, and a million other factors that can't be all adequately accounted for. And with any modern car.. I would posit that you would be hard pressed to find any model or manufacturer that produces a truly bad/unreliable car outside of anecdotal experience.

Take the cam phaser issue for example. Exactly how many cars and trucks does Ford build that have the Ecoboost? How many are on the road right now? Millions? Even several thousand cam phaser failures amounts to nothing but a statistical hiccup. It's like asking how many pentastar engines does Dodge have in circulation..

And what is "reliability"? It's already been hinted at in this thread. Reliability used to mean "how many times did this car leave me stranded"? Now it's been reduced to seat squeaks and wireless chargers not working though phone cases or "I just noticed a slight hum at max volume coming from speaker 14 of my 18 speaker surround audio system". And with that being the case how many vehicles are given positive or negative ratings based on equipment levels? That has also been touched on in this thread. How it's the limited and platinum trims showing the most problems. Just like with the older ram 1500's. I have a 2013 for work. It's a tradesman. I have had, literally, no issues in 140k miles. Hard miles. Tires, brakes, oil. That's it. But there is also next to nothing on that truck. It has an engine, a transmission, and only the things necessary to make it go down the road legally. There is no balanced climate control system, no infotainment, no electronic safety aids nor automated cruise control.. Nothing. So.. if there was an issue with any of that.. I'd never see it because I don't have it. So what do these "reliability ratings" really and honestly tell us?

CR gathers responses from hundreds and hundreds of owners for each vehicle they test. So, by definition, it’s not ‘single source’.

It may not be perfect but if the same method is used across all vehicles then it’s at least likely to be directionally accurate.

Certainly better than the one off “what a lie! My truck lasted forever with no issues!!!” Comment on a interweb board.

There other product tests rely on pretty stringent and consistent testing across brands. They are a non for profit that take no ad revenue or brand sponsorships.

I’ve generally found that the more brand loyal a person is the LESS they like CR.

I’m the complete opposite of brand loyal so maybe that’s why I like their methodology and pragmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CR gathers responses from hundreds and hundreds of owners for each vehicle they test. So, by definition, it’s not ‘single source’.

It may not be perfect but if the same method is used across all vehicles then it’s at least likely to be directionally accurate.

Certainly better than the one off “what a lie! My truck lasted forever with no issues!!!” Comment on a interweb board.

There other product tests rely on pretty stringent and consistent testing across brands. They are a non for profit that take no ad revenue or brand sponsorships.

I’ve generally found that the more brand loyal a person is the LESS they like CR.

I’m the complete opposite of brand loyal so maybe that’s why I like their methodology and pragmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, nobody's perfect but at least they have actual data and a methodology to what they do. In their ratings you have to keep an eye on what your needs are and not just blindly buy whatever is "best in segment" as they have to choose priorities to weight more heavily, usually safety and reliability. I do wonder sometimes if an "unreliable" car 20 years ago could even sniff the jock of what they call unreliable now... I think they unfortunately do have somewhat of a vested interest in stratifying reliability and it's hard not to wonder if the gap has shrunk quite a bit. There's a difference between unreliable meaning "less reliable than very reliable" and "too unreliable to own or recommend". My guess would be that everything has gotten more reliable over the last couple of decades but vehicles are still described in that too-binary methodology. I could be wrong though.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 2009 I bought a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan with 80k miles, rated badly, in terms of reliability by CR. I was sad about my purchase and always anticipated the van to break down.

At 180k miles it was totaled and turned out to be the most reliable and cheap to own car that I have ever had. During my 100k ownership I only changed water pump, radiator, tie rod ends, rear shocks, and harmonic balancer. Other items were all maintenance related (belts, fluids, etc.). In comparison my current Honda Odyssey is a nightmare.

in summary, all manufacturers are having issues now as they try to innovate. They all get parts from the same bin.

If you have problem with yours get them fixed under warranty. If no problems, just enjoy the ride, but don’t let these articles spoil your ownership experience.