Convert truck to mini-camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deano_1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats and built anything to covert the back of the truck to a mini-camper RV? My wife and I are planing a trip and would like to use the truck to sleep in some nights as well as having storage for our stuff. We have thought of building some type of platform with storage underneath that would could sleep on. Maybe have something that would match up to the area where the spare is kept?

Any thoughts?

Deano

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Police, Fire departments and such do exactly that. mine came without a 3rd row; the removal or install process is not difficult.There are youtube videos that will walk you through it. I got mine after the Fire Department removed their storage solution, but they left the mounting frame in place. I'll be using it to mount a box such as you describe in the back, behind the second row.

Plati

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats and built anything to covert the back of the truck to a mini-camper RV? My wife and I are planing a trip and would like to use the truck to sleep in some nights as well as having storage for our stuff. We have thought of building some type of platform with storage underneath that would could sleep on. Maybe have something that would match up to the area where the spare is kept?

Any thoughts?

Deano
Yes and it works great. I have numerous posts with pictures of the result on this Forum. I did my 2003 … learned from it and did it to my 2014EL in an improved fashion. I removed 2nd and third row seats, but left the small seat in the third row. Nice to have. But then you end up with a 32" wide bed you may not like.

I removed all that tray stuff in the rear floor to make even more space. I also use inside the rear side panels for more storage space. I put a 3/4" plywood platform from rear hatch to drivers seat on one side 32" wide. I built up the rear along the hatch a few inches to strike a balance between storage underneath and headroom. Had to add a 12" wall underneath platform behind driver seat to hold front up but that adds a nice storage cubby right behind driver seat.

I designed an addition for the side too, nice for rainy weather. Its just a Noah's Tarp with 2 expandable poles but sheds water in rain and works great.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/drawer-build.34932/

OP
OP
D

Deano_1

Reaction score
Nice job on what you have done!. I have seen several of the Youtube videos and just trying to decide the best way to do this. I'm going to remove the back section with the spare. How easy is it to remove the seats?

Thanks,

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With what tools Dean? We've got tools that will not damage surrounding areas but they will take time and patience to use.........................for those in more of a hurry, there's Betsy, the 17lb sledgehammer......your choice?

Just teasing of course. I'm single and live alone and thought about doing a conversion too. There's a crapload of space back there for me and my 5'-4" Kerry but the top-down solutions I've thought about interfere with the rearview vision.

I'll be watching this thread....

jeff

cuykaylab

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts?

Deano

cuykaylab

Reaction score
I am using mine as a camper without taking seats out . Short 5 ft of me can sleep easily on the flat parts. Then it’s easy to convert back to my regular car. I also use a tarp to add rain/wind protection. I did 2500 miles to WY and back to NV and had a great time . Plenty of room for gear and two dog crates. I call it my “ teardrop”. Instead of taking out seat, I may put on one of those luggage carriers that fits into trailer hitch . That way I can use it under the tarp as a cooking/staging area.

Ozzy

Reaction score
While I haven’t removed anything from the back, with both rear rows fully folded down, and conveniently placed stiff pillows stuffed into the space between center and rear rows, my wife and I plus two dogs slept in ours on a weekend excursion (no pun intended) to Tennessee. It was February so had to run the heat once in a great while, but it was much better than I expected. Good luck on your idea!

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm designing my own 07 setup.

I'm short 5'7 I throw a mattress from my semi inside blankets and a few pillows, temp curtains for the rear and behind the drivers/passenger front seats, making inserts for the rear big side windows with reflective heat and going to limo tint the rear as dark as possible.

Slept a few nights in it. Rather comfortable even with 2 big chihuahuas

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I sleep in mine often because of where I work. I throw a single mattress in the back and it's pretty comfortable. I had it on a fold up frame, but I found it wasn't necessary and put me closer to the roof than I wanted to be.
I cut ~1/16" plastic sheets in the shape of my five rear windows and painted them flat black. They pop in and out easily. I also made a curtain that hangs on a fiberglass rod that hangs just behind the front seats. It basically blacks everything out looking in and out even under lights. Nothing looks odd from the outside. It just looks like an Expy with dark tint.
I'm almost 6', 240 lbs and it's still comfortable....
If you need ventilation and aren't worried about what it looks like from the outside, there's this:

20190906_183940.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky