Catalytic Converter code and white smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FTLOT

Reaction score
Our 2016 Ecoboost threw a code a few weeks ago when it was very cold. It went away on my next fill up but it was the right catalytic converter. I also noticed about that time it seemed like I was seeing more white emissions from the exhaust than previously. The car was running fine though. As the weather has warmed up I still notice a little white smoke before the car warms up totally. But yesterday I was on the highway and put my foot into it to pass and there was quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust.

I check oil levels religiously and it's fine. The coolant seems to be staying normal too. My first thought was possibly a turbo coolant leak but I'm not sure? Any place for me to start looking, or if it's normal that's fine too.

Ryan L

Reaction score
My 2016 had similar white smoke symptoms as you describe. No codes, though. Coolant was being consumed at such a low rate that I had no idea it was happening. Chalked it up to cold-starts on muggy mornings. (I should have been more diligent about tracking the coolant level than casually eyeballing the reservoir.) Awhile later I finally noticed a small reduction in coolant level. Took it my trusted mechanic and he determined the water pump was failing at 85k miles. He did the repairs and no more white smoke.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Burning coolant can kill a o2 sensor, and foul a cat, and provide some white smoke from the exhaust

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire