coolant flush tips ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbyrdfcmk3

Reaction score
IV got a 2000 rwd expedition with over 250,000 on it and just now came into my posetion and IV been researching on changing or aka flushing the coolant and have found a few different ways to flush it out but I was hopeing for some usefully tips on getting all the old coolant out without making a big mess thanks

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with out making a mess? thats hard to do. just be prepared to clean up. have old towels ready. also, DO NOT move the engine block drain plug. it could damage your block and you dont want that. i never fully flushed my system out, but i did drain the radiator and turn it on and let the engine heat up letting more coolant into the radiator and drain that. got most of it out that way. then i just refilled it as it needed.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Panda's right, just drain in to a container with some shop towels and seal > refill > run engine > drain > seal > refill

Where are you going to dispose of the old fluid?

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did mine last month, I loosened the valve on the bottom of the radiator, drained, ran the enging a min with the front and rear heat on to let the water pump move the coolant, I then kept allowing it to drain, I also removed the upper radiator hose and drained that, be sure not to let the coolant get all over the upper intake, coils and plugs. One useful tip is to take off the coolant resiviour (sp) drain and clean that and when it's out I found that the lower hose that goes to the bottom of that tank will fit right onto a garden hose so you can keep the drain on the radiator open, pump wanter into that hose and if the truck is running with the heat on eventually it will be completely flushed. Then drain all the water out and replace with coolant/water mix

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
to be honest. i know ill get flamed for this. i had to throw it away. no company wanted to take my coolant because i did it at home. like i would do something to it. i let it sit in a 5gal bucket for a few days while looking for a place. then had to pour it into some old milk containers and throw it away. i feel bad but no one wanted to take it.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I'm not flaming you, the reality is that noone wants to take it and if there was a resource readily available I would like to know about it.

If antifreeze is left out, cats lick it and die then you have PETA maching around your house. If it seeps in to a water table, then a whole envirnment is in danger, so what's a guy to do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik