Looseing little Coolant with no leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently drove my 2003 Ford Expedition with now 203,000 miles from Chicago to Gulf Shores, Alabama and then to Michigan and then back to Chicago a total of 2,350 miles. I made sure before the trip to top off the coolant and all other fluid levels. When I got to Guld shores all levels looked good. I did notice the morning we left to Gulf shores to go to Michigan that it was blowing smoke out for about a minute or so but it went away it was a whiter color I tried smelling it but it seemed to only be condensation no sweet smell. When then drove 1000 miles to Michigan no problems or leaks or any problems at all with air conditioning on sometimes and the heat worked really well no signs of anything no problems. Car ran great. We got to Michigan then went to Chicago everything great 70 mph the entire trip home. When we got home I had to add a few cups of coolant and this is the second time Iv had to add because before the trip I added the same amount. I had the HEADS BOTH rebuilt at machine shop and new head gasket replaced it’s never over heated since rebuild. I had the heads done a few years ago so I doubt it’s the head gasket again and it runs perfect no lights on dash and heat works good and no leak on intake. Any ideas? She I be worried? Or forget about it? Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• C19D984F-A272-4EA3-9511-9254E10BB0BD.jpeg
    C19D984F-A272-4EA3-9511-9254E10BB0BD.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
White smoke out the exhaust after sitting overnight is telling. As Hamfisted suggested a pressure test is the way to go.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a bright flashlight and look all the lines over. Rear heater lines, everything. It doesn't sound like it's a big leak. No coolant reservoir overflow right ? You can pressure test the coolant system and it might help find a small leak.

Coolant System Pressure Test Kit on Amazon

And if you can - get under the vehicle with a bright light and examine the coolant pump area. Look for any dried residue, indicating a small leak.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And if you can - get under the vehicle with a bright light and examine the coolant pump area. Look for any dried residue, indicating a small leak.
@Eightiesrock80 ^THIS^ There is a weep hole in the housing of the coolant pump. It Leaks out of there when the pump is getting ready to go bad.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Eightiesrock80 ^THIS^ There is a weep hole in the housing of the coolant pump. It Leaks out of there when the pump is getting ready to go bad.
Yeah it leaks a little, but nothing ever seems to drip to the ground, it just dries into a white chalky line. Been there with 2 water pumps so far. 3rd replacement I went back to Motorcraft and it's lasted 140k miles so far.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen my friend go for years with it weeping, and it has left me stranded not even a month after starting to weep.
If it is weeping it is telling you something is wrong.

dsayers116

Reaction score
There's a coolent line that runs under the alternator. There's a foam pad that's there as a filler. Lift it up and see if the valley is full of fluid or not.
If so, that line leaks ever so slightly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire