coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dponce

Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.4 expedition. I have coolant leaking out of the rear corner of the engine on the passenger side. I can't see whare it's leaking and now when I start it up the rpm's jump between 300 and 1000. I'm afraid coolant has gotten into one of the injectors . How can I find the leak and is the engine screwed if coolant got into one of the injectors

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe coolant got into any of your injectors. You may have a bad head gasket. Try searching the forum for head gasket leaks. Really depends where it is leaking from, as in if its above the engine(heater hose) or coming from the head/block area. Can you see where it is leaking by chance?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your going to have to pressurize your system and look where it's coming from. Keep in mind that when you use a radiator pressure tester, a little leak will be a bigger one. But sometimes this has to be done to find leaks. Just be prepared financially to fix problem/ problems with your cooling system. Cracked intakes are a problem with all 4.6/5.4 engines. Why it's fluctuating at idle could be an intake gasket or some intake hose leak. Injectors are sealed so coolant can't mix with fuel. Enough coolant getting into any electrical connector can cause problems. Is the coolant getting on coil on plug wires? You need to dry up the area fix leak, and apply dielectric grease to all connectors that have gotten wet. You'll need to first clean connectors with electrical cleaner first. I'm getting ahead of myself. Diagnose coolant leak and possible engine condition first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman