Coolant low by > 1 gallon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

A couple weeks ago I posted about the loud fan running near 100% of the time and the interior fan not working. I suspected the thermostat but (over the phone) my mechanic said to check the coolant level and if it was low then it becomes a matter of finding the leak. Got back from an extended vacation and finally got around to checking the level and I couldn’t see any coolant at the bottom marker so I bought some orange Peak 50/50 stuff for $20. I kept pouring and pouring, stopping to make sure it wasn’t just clear and about to spill but nope. It consumed the entire gallon and barely reached the cold minimum marker.
I am less than excited at the prospect of a leak. It does have 80?something thousand miles so maybe a water pump though my mechanic said he hardly ever has to replace the water pumps. I would have noticed coolant on my driveway so I’m not sure where to start. I have (prior to adding coolant) been smelling hot coolant.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to look (known leak areas) ?
Were you able to find your leak?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On Ground Hog's Day, I took "Big Red" to the shop for the annual inspection sticker and ask him to see if he could find where my coolant leak was coming from. I told him where I thought it was coming from (near the rear passenger door above the muffler), but with my floor jacks I could not get the vehicle high enough to really see it. After a pressure test, he showed me where it was coming out. It was closer to the rear passenger tire. It was from the metal hose that carries the coolant to and from the front of the vehicle to the rear aux heater core. It was a small pin hole, which after he did the test, is leaking faster now. Unforntenly he could not find a part for it from his suppliers and told me I may need to go to the dealer for the parts. It was between the two hose so we could not determine if it was the supply or the return side. Part numbers are AL1Z-18663-C supply side & AL1Z-18696-C return side. Both are over $180+tax each. I'm going to see if I can find them at an auto store first. I was wondering if a less expensive rubber hose could be install instead of the metal hose. coolant is about $15 to $24 per gallon.
Did the pipe rub thru on something? If it pinholed, the entire pipe could be corroded and would need replacement. Temp repair with short piece of rubber over the leak and add couple clamps like mentioned.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
List is $186 each. You can get them from Tascaparts.com for $126 each but will need to pay freight.

You, or your mechanic can buy the materials from a vendor like Classic Tube and make the hardlines yourselves, but the money saved on buying the Ford parts will probably go into fabrication labor.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
My owners handbook points out that: when the coolant is low, the engine shuts down several cylinders so that they act as air pumps to cool adjacent cylinders, so that you can keep driving... etc.. THIS IS A SCARY OPTION. I would rather the temp gauge indicated a hot engine so that I knew there was a problem. Rather, the car will keep running when coolant is low, and let you drive it to death. Check your coolant, because your temperature guage is meaningless in this situation.

BTW, my leak was at the hoses above the sparkplugs at 140,000 miles. Water pump was replaced at 5,000 miles, but that was a warranty issue.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t looked for the leak yet. I changed the oil today and I checked the coolant level and needed another 1/2 gallon. I will first check the areas mentioned by the other posters before taking it to my mechanic.

Grab a loaner pressure tester from Advance or Auto Zone and see if you can spot the leak.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i bet it is one of those sh!tty overmolded plastic T's

Will Williams

Reaction score
I did fix the "T" like that but this leak is under the vehicle. I thought of a 5/8 rubber hose but I have concerns of the heat from the muffler which right below it. I'm going to try to get a picture of it .....I don't have a lift but I will make an attempt.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Expedition, heard cooling fans running on high on a cool morning pulling into our driveway. Knew there was a problem. My truck had cam phasers replaced, was relived after checking engine oil, all normal.
Coolant reservoir was very low, over half gallon of coolant. Could not find evidence of leaking. Finally saw a small puddle of coolant on driveway.
Took truck to my local Ford dealer who diagnosed as leakage from the weep hole on the water pump. My truck has just over 60k miles, however purchased a Ford extended warranty when new. So $100 deductible to fix. Just looking at my truck, the replacement of the water pump did. I think the repair is rather difficult. Anyone know the typical dealer charge to replace the water pump?

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video and it was quite the jigsaw puzzle to get to it. It was taken apart to replace the thermostat and the tech said it’s best to replace the water pump at the same time since everything is out of the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett